No power to sockets, but no fuse tripped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a bizarre problem I have here. Overview of the circuit in question:
Consumer Unit > 6 x 2 gang, double pole sockets as a radial circuit
Plugged into these are a small compressor, a machine with a 0.5hp motor, and a machine with a 0.75hp motor, also a radio.
Over the weekend, as it was bloody cold in the workshop, I plugged in two heaters, one panel heater, one little fan heater. After a couple of hours of these being on, and both motors being used intermittently, the power cut out. Just assumed it was my own fault with the heaters, unplugged them and traipsed round to the consumer unit to reset the MCB, but it hadn’t tripped. I tried flipping the main isolator off then on, and it started working again. Since then though, it’s happened two more times. I’ve isolated the CU and opened it up, connections are fine, I’ve had a look over the connections in both machines and can’t immediately see anything wrong, and I can’t see anything wrong in the circuit.

Happy to get an electrician out to have a proper look, but he’s said it could be a week or two. Any suggestions on what to check?

Sponsored Links
If / when the sockets stop working ,it would be a simple test with a multimeter to establish if there is no voltage at the MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back