Socket circuit tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Socket circuit is tripping the switch at the consumer unit. Unplugged everything but it still trips after a few minutes when something is plugged into it. . Read up on this forum and advice indicates to first check the Combi boiler. But it still trips with this switched off. So am I looking at something wrong in the wiring of the circuit?
No heating or hot water at the moment
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unplug everything on the affected circuit - …. And make sure you investigate behind cupboards, outdoors and in garages too

Check fused spurs. The ones in kitchen and any others. Pull fuse draw and see if you still get trips.
Seen a dishwasher fused spur cause random trips.
Also double sockets tightened on uneven surfaces. They bend under stress causing shorts inside socket. Can be random trips again.

Sponsored Links
Unplug everything on the affected circuit - …. And make sure you investigate behind cupboards, outdoors and in garages too
Which basically means looking for evidence of rodent activity. i.e. mice or rat dropping, teeth marks in cables, (if you are lucky, you may even find the culprit still attached to the cable by it's jaws). If you do find evidence of cables having been chewed, you will probably need to replace that section of cable, though a repair may be possible.

Which basically means looking for evidence of rodent activity. i.e. mice or rat dropping, teeth marks in cables, (if you are lucky, you may even find the culprit still attached to the cable by it's jaws). If you do find evidence of cables having been chewed, you will probably need to replace that section of cable, though a repair may be possible.

water leaks
temporary pins to hold up decorations into cables

Thanks for the replies .Sorted now , turns out our home insurance has callout cover and it covers electrics. Came very quickly. Within an hour. For those interested . He reset RCD switch on consumer unit, plugged kettle in waited for a pop sound somewhere - when the circuit tripped there was a muffled pop above us. It was a wall socket and upon investigation the live wire had contacted the metal socket case so this socket was replaced. All working fine now. I didn't know about listening for a socket pop - useful to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back