No water in upstairs rads!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
God I need help! I've just fitted a new bathroom and as requested by the good wife I put in a replacement radiator. No probs. until I turn the rads back on. There is water in the downstairs rads but none in the upstairs. The header tank stayed full when I bled the system. Does this mean there is a blockage somewhere? If I've got a header tank that means its a gravity fed system, right? If there is a blockage how the hell do I find it? Boy do I need help and quick the wife will be home in a couple of hours expecting it all done and sorted!!!

Any advise will be gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
Cold feed blocked. Usually indicative of further sludging problems in the system. You can tryt and blow it out with mains water toi get you going but you're going to need to flush the system fairly soon.

all the rads seem empty when the pump is on they hiss slightly. but thats it!

Sponsored Links
Ok I know I'm being thick but when you say blast it out with mains water what exactly do you mean and how?

Cold feed blocked. Usually indicative of further sludging problems in the system. You can tryt and blow it out with mains water toi get you going but you're going to need to flush the system fairly soon.

agree cold feed blockage

would get a pro in to sort it as this is a sure sign of a crudded system

would NOT blow mains into it unless you are wearing waterproofs and don't mind spraying water everywhere (very unprofessional)

Oh Bugger! What kind of price am I looking at. I hope you realise the wifes gonna kill me!

sorryyyyyy........ :oops:

the like place for the blockage is at the bottom of the cold feed where it tees into the heating circuit

the likely cost could be anything from £50 to a £100 for clearing the blockage

power flush will cost from £100 to £500 depends on who you use

these figures are guidelines only so don't quote me!!!

As a temporary measure, just attach a hose pipe to the lowest drain cock and backfill the system. Don't turn the hose on fully, be gentle, and bleed the upstairs radiators until all air is expelled then turn the hose off and close the drain cock.

Before you do this, make sure the overflow pipe on you F&E tank is properly attached, otherwise you are likely to end up with water coming through the ceiling should you overfill.

Or cut the open vent in the loft and manually fill it. No chance of disaster by doing it that way.

IF... you have a blowtorch and rubber tubing that will fit over the nozzle, and down the cold feed from the header tank you may be able to clear it with compressed air (well gas). Worked for me after a draindown this afternoon. :D

If your heating worked before you draining, chances are the blockage will be soft and you a have a good chance.

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back