Upstairs Radiators Wont Bleed Properly

Sponsored Links
Blockages crop up all the time - have you searched or looked through the forum for similar problems?

ive trawled the net looking for stuff. think i may have found it as i have found some magnetic copper

Sponsored Links
where you originally said it would be the T-junction is under the floor boards. Does this mean that the bit of pipe will have to be replaced, as no water is leaving the f+e tank ?

The usual cure is to cut the cold feed a couple of inches away from the T, then poke around inside the pipework to dislodge any solid debris. Personally I then use a wetvac to suck out anything that might jam a valve or a waterway.

It's unusual to have the T under the floor, but it doesn't change the remedy.

Go for it.

No can do. I have a principle of not taking any work via the forum - if I did that, even if only once, then my advice would no longer be entirely free.

Just knuckle down to it Hunty - there'll be help here when you need it.

what throwing me virtual towels when my house gets flooded lol. Seriously though dad in law is gonna have a look . It is definate that magnetic area is where blockage is ? On the tee piece it comes down from the f+e and runs from boiler and the pump. So the blockage would be on the part running down from f+e . So that would be the part that needs unblocking/replacing? Could i use compression joints or would I still have to use solder ? Can I just heat the solder and it will come apart or do I really have to cut it ?

You can't unsolder pipework that's full of water - it won't get hot enough.

You can reassemble using any method you like; solder, compression, pushfit, whatever. If you have Kryptonic superpowers and can fusion weld by starting at the joint, then by all means do that.

Just get the towels out and cut the pipe. You need to isolate the F&E cold feed first, of course...

I think Softus has gone to bed. edited... no, obviously not.

You won't be able to melt the solder on a pipe with water in it.

You will find it very difficult to get it dry enough to resolder afterwards. I'd cut it open and use a brass compression fitting after.

If you bale out your F&E cistern, and drain off radiators at a pouint below the tee you're cutting, a few washing-up bowls will probably do. You will want a helper to swap the bowls while you put your thumb on the pipe.

whats the best way to cut it open it doesnt look very easy to get to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back