Noise I presume from Grundfos & can it be stopped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new boiler system [Boiler,Valves, DHW Tank, Grundfos Motor, Cold Water Feed tank, Feeder & expansion Cistern, Room Thermostat all replaced with new] installed and commissioned 3 days ago.

Regular Open Vented boiler with one valve previously is now replaced with
open vented boiler with S plan.
The Old Potterton 80F boiler with Grundfos motor attached to HR above the boiler in our garage. [Now the Grundfos is near the DHW tank in the airing-cupboard but the new boiler is kept in the garage as before].

The old system had one valve on HF in the kitchen [Photo No:5 & 6 ]. This was removed and both ends of the HF capped [Photo No: 7 ]

A new by-pass was created near the DHW tank in upstairs under-floor[Photo: 12 & 13 ]

http://www.flickr.com//photos/31216233@N03/sets/72157632201462143/show/with/8256362419/

All the radiators were bleed of air [throughly].

The plumber & Gas Safe Installer could not run the Grundfos on 3 as it seems to create a gargling noise & as I understood from their discussing that it may be pulling air?? So he'd set it at 1.

There is no over flow from the F & E Cistern.

Though Grundfos is set at 1, a low rumbling nice from the motor [like an old Refrigerator running noise] is very troublesome as our four bed rooms are by the airing cupboard.

The Rads were allowed to run with cleaner for two days and then thoroughly were flushed.

The Plumber and Gas Installer will be back tomorrow Monday.
I am to ask them if the noise could be stopped.

However If I understand about this better as what is going on, it would help me a lot when discussing with them - hence my question in here.

1. How could I get this noise from the Grundfos stopped?

2.Does it matter that the New Grundfos could not run on 3 because of it ??pulling air!!?

Can you help me?

Regards

Sponsored Links
You already seem to have people looking at your system. We have not seen it.

Are you sure that you are not being oversensitive to the pump noise?

Have you measured it with a noise level meter?

Do you leave the heating on when you are sleeping?

Tony

You already seem to have people looking at your system. We have not seen it.

Are you sure that you are not being oversensitive to the pump noise?

Have you measured it with a noise level meter?

Do you leave the heating on when you are sleeping?

Tony
Q1: I hope my installer will help us out.

Q2: No

Q3: No,It comes on at 5.30 a.m and hence causing an issue,I suppose. The noise is very obvious though.

Does it matter that the Motor could not run on 3?

Regards
Thank you

The pump has not been installed in accordance with Grundfos's Instructions!

In particular: Pumps should not be installed with the shaft in a vertical plane, as this may lead to dry running of the top bearing, noise and possible pump failure. (Page 5)

and possibly: The pump must be positioned so that no part of the motor or pump case comes into contact with any wood regardless of type or use. (page 5). I am thinking of the closeness to the wall.

The bypass is also incorrect; a gate valve is no longer permitted. It must be an automatic bypass valve, which only opens when necessary.

As the pump may have already been damaged by incorrect installation, I would demand a new pump, correctly installed. This may require alteration to the pipework to keep it away from the wall.

Sponsored Links
The pump has not been installed in accordance with Grundfos's Instructions!

In particular: Pumps should not be installed with the shaft in a vertical plane, as this may lead to dry running of the top bearing, noise and possible pump failure. (Page 5)

and possibly: The pump must be positioned so that no part of the motor or pump case comes into contact with any wood regardless of type or use. (page 5). I am thinking of the closeness to the wall.

The bypass is also incorrect; a gate valve is no longer permitted. It must be an automatic bypass valve, which only opens when necessary.

As the pump may have already been damaged by incorrect installation, I would demand a new pump, correctly installed. This may require alteration to the pipework to keep it away from the wall.

Hi,
Q1:The pump is installed in Horizontal plane I thought? Can you help me understand? What is Shaft?

Q2 Is that plastic white one is the gate vale? Is that the one should be replaced with automatic bypass valve [Fig: 13 & 14]?

Would you mind answering?

Regards

Is there a proper drain-off on the cylinder...I can't see one on the LHS.

The bypass valve is the red handled valve near the two new motorised valves. Should be an automatic type.

The flow pipework to the radiator circuit appears to join with the white speedfit tee. It looks a bodge with a bit of 15mm pipe and I certainly wouldn't have the plastic joint under my floorboards.

The pump is installed incorrectly. It needs swinging down so the shaft running through the centre is horizontal as per the instructions. I would also undo the pump head (4 hex screws) and rotate the wiring box to be on top.

There appears to be some odd pipework configuration in the right hand corner of the compartment. I'm guessing the vent goes up to the cistern. Is the 15mm pipe the feed? If it is then that's an odd way of doing a "combined feed and vent".

Don't like the wiring box under the pump...it's gonna get wet when the pump needs replacing.

Don't like the pipework off the cylinder...long horizontal runs with very little angle...potential for trapped air.

Running the pump on 1 will not heat the rads sufficient. If the system really needs 80,000 Btu the pumps got to circulate more water than speed 1 is likely to provide.

The pump is installed incorrectly. It needs swinging down so the shaft running through the centre is horizontal as per the instructions. I would also undo the pump head (4 hex screws) and rotate the wiring box to be on top.

Would mind checking the photo as now I have taken one with same level as the pump. And in your view do you feel from the phot the "shaft" is correctly placed?

Regards

Would mind checking the photo as now I have taken one with same level as the pump. And in your view do you feel from the phot the "shaft" is correctly placed?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31216233@N03/8256749199/in/photostream

Regards

Your pump is fitted with the shaft inside vertical which is wrong!

Even rotating it forward will then have the black box underneath when it should be on top.

There are no pipe fixing clips visible anywhere. Thats likely to cause the pump noise to be transmitted through the pipework!

There are special rubber cushioned pump brackets to support the pipes either side of a pump and take the weight off the pipework.

There is a pipework issue if the pump cannot run on "3".

These seem to be installers with a serious misunderstanding of any of the basic requirements!

Tony

Q1:The pump is installed in Horizontal plane I thought? Can you help me understand? What is Shaft?
Click this link Grundfos's Instructions and you will see what everyone is talking about!

Is that plastic white one is the gate valve? Is that the one should be replaced with automatic bypass valve [Fig: 13 & 14]?
No, it's the red handles valve on the left of the wiring centre in Pic 11

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back