Noise waking me up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into new house a year ago and noticed that the system was quite noisy, especially with water and rads on - there was a metallic squealing noise from the pipes just before switch off. Now the hot water system has got so noisy the radiators around the house wake me up, and they are not even on! There is a "boiling water" sound for about one minute, which gets increasingly louder and is transmitted to all the pipes and rads, then a "clunk" as the thermostat stops the heating, then it goes quiet. This is repeated every 5 minutes or so. I turned the pump up to max flow, but no change. I have a gas fired boiler Balmoral 65F, with the thermostat turned to minimum as this makes it a little quieter. I tried draining the system and added cleaner, but very little difference. This is getting worse - what is happening ? Please help!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Metallic noises are usually the pump or a fan if it has one. Boiling /kettling noises come with old scaled boilers. Try "Boiler Silencer" which you pour in the feed cistern. If in doubt about the pump its worth changing as they do make different noises.

They might rattle a bit when they go through the pump?

Sponsored Links
What with the Prozak allready in the water it's a wonder heating systems can be arrsed to work at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back