NOISE.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For about a year now i have had a noise happen whenever the hot or cold taps are turned off , it also happens when the washing machine or dish washer has stopped filling.It sounds like a knocking noise and at first just one knock but now it goes like this duh duh duh duh gradually getting quieter. The strange thing is it does it sometime when i shut the dish washer door. the dishwasher is located next to the the boxed in pipes running upstairs
It has now started to happen occasionaly on its own although alot quieter.
I have tried turning the water flow down from the stop cock which does help, but then this affects the water flow to the upstairs shower.
Is my house haunted?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.Being a bit of a novice with plumbing , could you tell me where abouts i fit this on my system and how.

Anywhere on the cold main after the stop tap. If there is one place more than another that is causing a problem e.g ball vall valve on header tank or kitchen sink then place it as close to the problem area as possible. Turn off and drain cold water Tee in to pipe using equal Tee and connect the arrestor with a small bit of copper.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, we have lived in this house for about 15 years and the problem just started for no reason, is that normal.
Looking at the picture of the arrestor it has a threaded fitting , will i need another part to fit to this as the eqal T i have has a compression fitting.

Hi there,

Before you start messing with things, how are you're washing machine and dishwasher fed.

We had the same kind of noise in our house and tracked it back to a dodgy diaphram in the ball valve on the cold water storage cistern in the loft.

We also now have the same problem on a toilet ball valve which is mains fed. Just need to find time to change it.

Rico

just as another simular problem make sure stop cock is open enough, we had not to disimular problem where water pressure varied and thumping occured

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back