Noisy air filled system

Tie up the float valve...

Get a long hose pipe and run it outside well away from patio/drive etc

Induce flow in the hose either by putting the top end over the float valve outlet and pushing down on the hose or by pouring a jug of water into a funnel in the hose end...

When the water is flowing use the end to hoover out all the muck in the header tank... adding more water if necessary to loosen all the much.

There simply is too much to lose pulling all that muck [carp!] into boiler, pump etc

Sponsored Links
Resurrecting this thread from a couple of weeks ago... new problem.

I repiped the vent and feed pipe, took off a few radiators and hosed them out - generally seemed ok.
Cleaned the FE tank.
Fitted a Spirotech MB3 to the return near the boiler.
Turned it all on, set it to heat water, pump starts, boiler fires, but after a few mins boiler stops, although pump still running. Seems like pump isn't making water move.
The system worked before I drained and repiped it, although very noisily.

Any pointers to help me identify the problem please?

Ok, but first, the inside of the isolation valve on the old cold feed pipe....

When I drained the tank, I let it drain through the system, it went down very slowly. I don't think any extra crud got through.

Clean FE tank.... (now refilled!)

New pipework....

When I try to bleed the pump, hardly anything comes out, as if it's dry. But how can that be with the cold feed where it is?

Sponsored Links
You should have put an air release on the pipe at the 3port valve. As it is the easiest way to bleed it is to loosen one of the compression joints, probably on the gate valve, and catch the water in a tub.

Thanks Mick, that did the job!
All moving around nicely now, apart from one drop. Need to investigate.
Thanks again. Winter can come now.

For future reference, often just stopping and starting the pump a few times (with it on full speed) will work. But not always, at least you're prepared for all future eventualities! Glad you got it all working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back