noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful if somebody could help with the the above problem please.I have a Worchester 28i junior boiler that started making strange noises when the central heating came on.The first two rads are very hot and the problem is not apparent with just hot water. I had a local firm come out to service it and also mentioned the noise.The noise did not appear when he was finished.Two days later it started again. Called them out again and a different engineer said he thought the noise was "kettling". The Thermistor sensor was the problem or the pcb he said.Another call out charge! And would be charged again to fit the part that "might be faulty". Change things till it gets better thinks me . As a tv engineer i would not get away with that!Any thoughts out there as to the faulty part please?. I should also mention turning down the stat on the boiler stops the noise.

Sponsored Links
Heat exchanger may be scaled up (ie innefficient heat transfer) this would explain no noise after turning the stat down or pump might be dodgy as it is not used for hot water on these boilers. If its the heat exchanger maybe think about a new boiler as its prob not an economical repair

Many thanks for the reply.The first engineer cleaned out the heat exchanger at time of service and said it was ok.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the reply.The first engineer cleaned out the heat exchanger at time of service and said it was ok.

There is a difference between a service and a repair.

The most important being the cost!

What did he use to clean out the heat exchanger?

If you were called to set up a TV after someone had moved and were going to charge say £35 for a 15 min job then would you still do a repair at the same price if you found it to be faulty?

Tony

I have to admit i did`nt see him doing the service and really have no idea what he done to be honest.I just took his word for it.I was prepared to pay for the service and any repair but the engineer said the service had probably cured the problem i was having and it was left at that as it appeared to be working.

I expect that you have no idea what he did.

He may have cleaned the flame side of the main HE.

But its the water side we think may be faulty!

Tony

Heat exchanger may be scaled up (ie innefficient heat transfer) this would explain no noise after turning the stat down or pump might be dodgy as it is not used for hot water on these boilers. If its the heat exchanger maybe think about a new boiler as its prob not an economical repair

Your heat exchanger is not scaled as you live in Midlothian and its a soft water area, it could be that the system water is contaminated though this would have a similar effect

Thank you for the replies to my problem.I have called in another engineer and he has done many more checks than the previous engineers (I watched this time!)He said that a pressure test should have been done to check if water was in the diagfram?A heat test to see if it is an over heating problem etc . He has told me he is prepared to replace the thermistor sensor and if it does not cure the problem ( as the previous engineers say is the problem) he will not charge for it, as he is convinced the system needs flushed through.Watch this space!

Just as the engineer said, the new thermistor thermostat, did not cure the problem.He flushed the system and used a cleaner.Ran the system. Reflushed and then added inhibitor?.Boiler now works with no noise.Just shows some engineers are better than others in every trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back