Noisy new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I fitted a new mira duo for a friend. It is now making a whistling noise, and he is complaining that the hot water is a bit sporadic. The old shower was a new team. This had some sort of blending/blalncing valve fitted under the bath. The reason he wanted the old one replaced was that it stopped letting hot through. I removed this valve as I believed it was faulty.

The system is a combi boiler in a small ish 3 bed house. The bath/shower is pretty much directly above the boiler. Do you think the cold water needs slowing down?

regards

SuperMario80

Sponsored Links
This had some sort of blending/blalncing valve fitted under the bath. The reason he wanted the old one replaced was that it stopped letting hot through. I removed this valve as I believed it was faulty.

balancing valve

what did you remove the balancing valve and the mixer :?:

The old shower was a new team.
What model was it?

I removed this valve as I believed it was faulty.
Why didn't you replace the part that you thought was faulty?

My friend wanted a new shower, so had bought one anyway for me to fit. Not sure what the old shower model was exactly.

Can I purchase a universal balancing valve? Or will I need a specific Mira one?

Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
first ignore the cut and paste merchant (school holidays)

pressure balancing valve you can get any make ;)

if thats what you removed

looks a bit like a flying saucer :?:

Can I purchase a universal balancing valve?
Yes, but was it a balancing valve, or was it a thermostatic mixing valve?

This is why I asked about the old shower valve. Do you know whether or not it was thermostatic?

Ah, I see. Not too sure about old valve.... But I'm pretty sure it was a balancing valve I removed. i have it somewhere so can check and get back to you.

where has my freakin post gone and why ?

oh goldberks mate the mod strikes again

and yet again no explaination why it was removed

your gettin to big fer yer britches boy

jeez

No idea if the original poster is still after an answer, but....

we had a Mira mini duo installed that started making a noise. Turns out the installer hadn't flushed the pipes properly that resulted in blocked filters meaning the thermostatic mixer couldn't get the right flow of water through.

Try cleaning the filters would be my suggestion.

I checked the filters already, all seemed ok there. Guys, it was a pressure equalising valve I removed. ANyone know where I can get a replacement, had a look online, but they all seem to be integral with the shower valve!

Quick update:

Fitted new pressure equalising valve. This cured the noise, but still not letting through enough hot water. So cleared any possible airlocks, still no hot water coming through with shower head off, only warm. Customer mentioned that when he fills bath he has hot tap on half way as the boiler can't cope with it open all the way and runs cooler again. I've fitted the flow regulator that came with the shower, this slightly improved it.

Tried throttling the ISV right back, this again got it a bit warmer, but there was now not enough pressure there.

So is it looking like the heat exchanger could be scaled up in the boiler?

regards

SuperMario80

I fitted a new mira duo for a friend.

Customer mentioned that when he fills bath

goodnight Cowboy, so many basic errors its not real

tell your friend/customer you have not got a clue, give him/her back all the money you have ripped them off for, and chalk it down to experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back