Noisy Radiators when First On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, When my central heating first comes on there is a loud intermittent banging in the bedroom radiator. This continues for about 15 minutes then moves on to the second bedroom (right behind my headboard!) and sometimes comes back. Ive bled all the radiators a few times recently and Ive had my backboiler (Baxi) serviced by British Gas in August. The noise is really loud and keeps me awake... Please help its driving me crazy!

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised you havnt had a reply to this question as there seems to be loads of responses to less important issues, I am having the same trouble. When we switch the heating on the creaking starts but at least this only lasts a short while say about 15 minutes, its when we switch it off the fun begins, and just the same as you the creaking/banging seems to travel around the other bedrooms and bathroom and ends up back in our bedroom about 15 minutes later. It carries on like this for about one and half - two hours before it eventually stops, therefore we have to make sure our heating has been turned off at least an hour before we go to bed otherwise it drives you mad. Sadly I am the last on up in house and so as I can sometimes end up being up for hours after everyone else I am freezing (well I would be but I put the fire on). I dare not switch the heating on for fear of waking everyone else up or disturbing them nodding off. We have a brand new Worcester boiler fitted in April this year but couldnt afford a full heating system and so left the original radiators would it really help if we had a plumber renew all the pipework with that white plastic speed stuff. PLEASE HELP CANT STAND ANY MORE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS OR THE COLD. :oops: :idea: :cool: :eek: :( :eek: :arrow:

I'm surprised you haven't searched the forum ;)

Your problems are both related to contraction/relaxtion of pipework under floorboards or in loft/plaster board. The biggest culprit is badly clipped pipework, unlagged pipe or poorly fitted in joists.

I suggest and i mean it's a time consuming effort, but check all pipework, flow and return throughout the house, under floor, walls, loft etc, have fun........

Sponsored Links
:eek: Wot a good idea from Gas2air :eek: I hadnt thought of searching the forum. Sorry no not being sarcastic but its so annoying I probably know all the piping has to be checked but was just hoping someone might have some magic solution. House had been empty for about 3 years before we moved in, as mentioned funds running dry so just had the boiler renewed and up to now 2 of the radiators so the system has been drained and cleaned a few times. I have noticed this stuff you can buy on the web it says:.........
Locate the central heating feed and expansion tank.
Shake bottle and pour entire contents into tank.
Scalex is gradually drawn into the system and provides full effect within 1-6 weeks.
Bleed radiators after 2-3 days and again after 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone used this or will it just be useless. Dont get any sleet so might as well stay on here all night. :mad: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back