noisy toilet since new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdy chaps, i'm new to the forum so please be gentle with me :D

i've just had my old system boiler replaced with a new combi boiler. The problem is now when i flush the toilet the sound of the water filling up is immense. The sound is loud at the toilet itself and towards the loft where the old tank was positioned.

Can this be fixed? If so, what should i be telling my plumber so he knows i'm serious about getting this sorted.

much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there is air in the pipes near where the old cold
water tank used to be causing hammering in the pipes.

did tje installer fit a smaller ball valve seating / orifice in the toilet?

did tje installer fit a smaller ball valve seating / orifice in the toilet?
Yes, sounds like your loo's float valve was designed for low pressure water, whereas it's now connected straight to the mains.

If so, replacing the float valve (or part of it) so that it's suitable for mains pressures should help somewhat.

Sponsored Links
As Chris says the valve that fills the toilet is designed for low pressure. Should be a cheap job to get this changed.

i forgot to mention that a new bathroom suite was installed at the same time so surely the new toilet should be sufficient for the pressure (even though it was a cheap B&Q one)....?

i forgot to mention...
Go to the bottom of the class ;)

That makes things much harder to diagnose remotely. Does the water supply to the toilet have an isolating valve? If so, what happens if you close this a tiny bit, to reduce the flow rate slightly?

i forgot to mention...
Go to the bottom of the class ;)

That makes things much harder to diagnose remotely. Does the water supply to the toilet have an isolating valve? If so, what happens if you close this a tiny bit, to reduce the flow rate slightly?

yes, it has what looks like 2 isolator valves next to eachother. the first one doesn't seem to work :eek:
when you turn the new one to reduce the flow the sound is reduced but obviously takes longer to fill and it is still quite annoying noise-wise :(

I would suggest that your plumber fits a Fluidmaster Pro in place of the w.c. ballvalve. Cost £15 ish. He would be entitled to charge you for fitting this especially if you had specified or supplied the B&Q suite. £65 total?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back