Non Barrier plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new boiler and radiators fitted and after 2-3 months one of the radiators went off. This was after a chain of 3 radiators was replaced with one big one to fix the lack of heat to it before new boiler and rads everywhere else. The boiler (old boiler had a pin hole in heat exchanger).

It was power flushed and cleaned through and an inhibitor put in.

The radiator (biggest went off) - apparently i have non-barrier pipes to the manifold from the boiler - no where else except hot/cold water which is fine apparently.

They had to flush the radiator through and from each connector. After doing so heat has returned but showed me how to check magiclean - and they had loosend stuff so cleaned it again - they asked me to check this each time it had been running and clean it - basically they had moved the ironoxide but said it would keep happening - or it may happen and need to replace the in and out pipes from the boiler to the manifolds, which would be 200 or so depending on access. The radiators all have cooper piping and it appears only the in and out from boiler (although not directly as that is cooper) is there only plastic and it is non-barrier or doesn't say non barrier on it

I find conflicting information on the non barrier pipes but just wanted to check the information and get some advice please that i am being advised correctly.

Sponsored Links
Non barrier has been installed and it generally causes problems in heating systems as it allow oxygen into the water within the pipe.
Replacement is a good idea or a strong dose of inhibitor (£10) in the system should slow the rusting to normal levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back