Rad not heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have recently moved a radiator and now the rad will not get hot. I had to run some new plastic barrier pipe for this and i think i have an air lock stuck in the pipe as radiator bleeds ok. I have tried turning off all other radiators and uped speed of pump but no joy.....only left it like this for a couple of mins as one valve on rad was getting really hot but no flow through rad.

I was going to try the mains water and hose trick to see if this would work and was wondering:-

1 .do i turn all other radiators off before doing this including ones without trv?

2. do i rsk damaging anythink by doing this?

3. Can i do this to both flow and return pipes or just return?

Heating is open system with header tank and is all plastic barrier pipe with 5 point manifolds branching off to radiators...

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance..

cheers
Trevor

Sponsored Links
1. No.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
If it is an air lock and the hose pressure moves it (upwards) you may want to check higher (upstairs) rads for bleeding the air out afterwards. Hence 1 = no, the air needs to go somewhere it can be bled.

Air lock or not you are filling your system, so before you start, check the level of water in the feed and expansion tank and preferably have someone watching the level as you do this, otherwise, nasty mess when the F/E tank overflows.

thanks for quick replies guys....i will try turning off all but cold one first and leave for 10mins or so and see if this helps.......if there is a blockage or airlock though will the water not just circulate through the bypass?

I will then try the hose on the mains trick whilst someone watches the expansion tank.......i will leave all the radiaters open when i do this for bleeding purposes.....do i just give a quick blast with the mains until i hear water coming into expansion tank?

Also you answered yes to damaging something....any tips to minimise the risk...or what to look out for?

cheers
Trevor

Sponsored Links
ok i have tried turning all radiators off except the one that is cold, turned the pump up to three and ran the heating for about 30mins.....radiator got hot but only very slowly then when i turned the others back on it was cold again. There was a radiator here before and i have only moved it so can't see why the balance would be out.......if i try the hose method is there anything i should be aware of or watch out for?

thanks
Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back