rads not heating downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

Am working on a hideaway y plan system boiler, customer said that the hot water works and the radiators works upstairs but none of the rads work downstairs. At first I assumed it was the pump I discovered that the pump was working, I then assumed it was air lock so I turned off all the rads that were working and left the downstairs rads which started heating up but I found out that the return pipe on the radiator was hot but the flow was cold. I then assumed that the pipes may be blocked. i have also balance the rads but still no joy.

My question is

if the flow pipe is cold on the radiator and the return hot does that mean the system is blocked somewhere.

what would u do differently.

Sponsored Links
what makes you say its the return on the rad ? the flow may be on the oppersite end downstairs.

Sponsored Links
I found out that the return pipe on the radiator was hot but the flow was cold.
The hotter pipe is always the flow and the cooler pipe the return. What method did you use to decide which pipe is the flow and which the return?

i use a temperature prob. i measure the flow on the cyclinder and the rads. the rads had trv fitted. it is possible the trvs are fitted on the wrong side but this is unlikly

trv's maybe bi directional
if they are getting hot would say they are flow not returns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back