non coloured 2 core cable on lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newby here - I have a table lamp that was fitted with a dimmer switch that went bang! I was going to replace it but after removing the cable from either end I see it has just two wires and they are both clear rather than brown/blue etc. so I don't know which one to wire into what. If it's a pain then I would just fit an on/off switch but the same problem is there. The lamp has 4 x 20w halogen bulbs. Sorry if this question is a bit muddled! :)

Sponsored Links
Since you've already disconnected the cable at either end, simply choose which one you wish to use as live and neutral and wire it that way throughout the circuit. It ultimately doesn't matter with a lamp on its own. Just ensure that you wire the correct polarity from the plug to the dimmer switch and from the dimmer switch to the lamp fitting. The neutral will be straight to the lamp and the live will go via the dimmer switch as it was before.

With bayonet lamps it does not matter which way around they are wired, the dimmer would need to be double pole in theroy, in practice these units are made for the German system where they don't have a clue which is line and neutral and so stick the dimmer on either wire and trust to the lord and the RCD protection.

With screw lamps the screw should be neutral and the centre pin line, this is so if you are daft enough to swap a bulb with power on and your finger is to touch the cap of the bulb you will not get a shock. Even with a plastic bulb holder you can often touch the cap of the bulb.

If the dimmer is able to switch the lamp off then either double pole or on the line, if it just dims then you are aware it is switched on so in real terms it does not matter.

Do remember rest of Europe had RCD protection years before us, they needed it as their plugs could be reversed, so although OK in a house post 2008 in a pre 2008 house with no RCD protection we really do need to get line and neutral the right way around.

Sponsored Links
they needed it as their plugs could be reversed,
...but they didn't/don't have a fuse in one of the conductors.
Are you sure? I noted when in a hotel in Turkey the MCB's were all duel pole, I remember thinking at the time wish I could buy those consumer units in the UK they would be ideal for the 110 volt supply at work.

No, I meant they don't have a fuse in the plug - which is why it doesn't matter if they put it in either way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back