Non-Corgi Install

Nixt said:
At a launch of GWN the Corgi rep assured all present that data is protected from anyone, and specifically mentioned the Inland Revenue...

......meaning Corgi will share it with the Inland Revenue.

Bet they had their fingers crossed behind their backs and whispered

WE WONT PASS THE DETAILS ON TO ANYONE who pays less than 5 quid a pop

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Anything and everything I read in GI, I take with a pinch of salt.

CORGI should confine its activities to oversee gas safety. Somewhere along the line it has taken its eye off the ball to start seeing pound notes. Every month I receive a mailshot of what they are selling. CORGI stands for The Council For Registered Gas Installers. Lot of items for sale in the catalogue has little or nothing to do with gas fuel and safety.

It's no more up to corgi than it is up to a bank to withold information from the IR. If IR wants to see what you have been up to they only have to ask. They won't ask you, you'll be sat in a meeting puting on a brave face and they'll just put it on the table in front of you, say nothing and see what you have to say about it.

I was in one of those meetings once when they put a piece of paper in front of me. I told the truth, I said I never made a penny from it, the guy seemed to sense I was right was ssatisfied with the response was mostly looking to see if it would rattle me, which it didn't as I was telling the truth. If you have something to hide don't blame corgi.

Corgi is non profit making so if they can make money merchandising it means less for us to pay in subs. I have no problem with that.

Don't get me wrong, they are inefficient from a members viewpoint, you can't phone them to renew some years, getting a replacement corgi card is hit and miss. Eevn one of our local inspectors showed me his in which all the lpg appliances were missed off. Mine is now only missing two tick boxes, but as I know I am qualified for those things I don't think it's worth the bother trying to get it put right, it's bad enough trying to get a card at all. That part of the job is subbed out, they got a bad firm on the case. I've tried getting British industry to get things right myself in other lifes, it's almost impossible to get your goods made let alone correctly, no wander it's all been turned over to the Chinease.

Sponsored Links
WaveyDave said:
I've had a recommendation of a plumber from my builder. He says the guy is very good and can install a combi boiler/pipes/change plumbing etc, but is not Corgi registered. I know I will need a gas safety cert. He says he can get the cert by using another plumbing firm he uses to inspect the installation.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this, and don't know whether its legal/proper?

Can anyone give me advice?

I've just had an extension built and this happened to me. A non corgi guy moved and installed the boiler, and the builder got another guy (who is registered) to issue the certificate. I wasn't happy about this so I contacted building control, and apparently it is allowed to have a non corgi guy install such stuff as long as he is supervised by a registered one. There is a grey area as to what you call supervising however. I don't think simply turning up after the install, making a few checks and writing a certificate supervising. But that's what they do and it is allowed.

We dont dispute the legallity of it pbar, the notion of it.

Senario, Building firm chucks up extention, employee plumber installs boiler, builders Corgi mate comes along looks at boiler fills out cert without noting any possible defects/ommisions.
Builders happy going to get final payment, customer happy thinks he's had a corgi inspection :eek:

Now Iam not saying all are the same, only Ive seen it, seen it, oh! and Ive been asked to do it ;) ;)

But there is no such "Certificate".

A builder recently called me practically telling me to "sign off" a boiler a mutual aquaintance has installed.
Me "I'll have to go over it all"
Him "Whatever"
Me "OK if you drain all the water out, remove the flue, take the boiler off the wall, and uncover all the gas pipe, then if it can't go back I'll charge a callout for telling you why, and want paying there and then, OK?"

It wasn't, strangely.

clf-gas said:
We dont dispute the legallity of it pbar, the notion of it.

Senario, Building firm chucks up extention, employee plumber installs boiler, builders Corgi mate comes along looks at boiler fills out cert without noting any possible defects/ommisions.
Builders happy going to get final payment, customer happy thinks he's had a corgi inspection :eek:

Now Iam not saying all are the same, only Ive seen it, seen it, oh! and Ive been asked to do it ;) ;)

Actually we are disputing/discussing the legalities of this.
In the first post, the gentleman is asking whether it is legal/proper.
And it seems that doing it this way is a very common, if not normal occurance.

Pbar, you seem to be missing the point!

A CORGI registered person is NOT allowed by CORGI to do what you are suggesting.

They can issue a Gas safety certificate but thats not what is required for a new gas installation.

Tony

asking whether it is legal/proper.

Obviously it cannot be "legal/proper" for someone to say he has installed a boiler if he hasn't.

Agile said:
Pbar, you seem to be missing the point!

A CORGI registered person is NOT allowed by CORGI to do what you are suggesting.

They can issue a Gas safety certificate but thats not what is required for a new gas installation.

Tony

According to the people I have spoken to at building control they are. i.e. 'supervise' a non corgi person installing a boiler and then issue a certificate after final checks.

ChrisR said:
asking whether it is legal/proper.

Obviously it cannot be "legal/proper" for someone to say he has installed a boiler if he hasn't.

No of course not. But it is legal/proper for someone to issue a certificate even though they personally may not have installed the boiler.

pbar note my earlier posts and those of chrisr, now note your post.
I've just had an extension built and this happened to me. A non corgi guy moved and installed the boiler, and the builder got another guy (who is registered) to issue the certificate. I wasn't happy about this so I contacted building control, and apparently it is allowed to have a non corgi guy install such stuff as long as he is supervised by a registered one. There is a grey area as to what you call supervising however. I don't think simply turning up after the install, making a few checks and writing a certificate supervising. But that's what they do and it is allowed.

Do you recall the boiler coming back off the wall, the floor coming up, so on and so on, me thinks not, Is your install up to standards :oops: might not be, though it could be if YOU got the corgi guy in :LOL: :LOL: ;)

clf-gas said:
pbar note my earlier posts and those of chrisr, now note your post.

Do you recall the boiler coming back off the wall, the floor coming up, so on and so on, me thinks not, Is your install up to standards :oops: might not be, though it could be if YOU got the corgi guy in :LOL: :LOL: ;)

No, the corgi guy did not go to that extent when he checked it. I completely agree, that it might not be up to standard. But then again it could be a brilliant installation. The corgi guy checked and ran tests before he issued the certificate. It's impossible for anyone (except for you guys in the trade) to know how well the job is done, whether it's done by a corgi guy or not. I'm sure there's many non corgi guys who have a great deal of integrity and will do the job well, and many corgi guys who won't. I put my trust in my builder to sort it out, as I have done with every other aspect of my extension. To my disappointment, that has proven to be a mistake however.

Pbar, I can only assume you dont understand what we are telling you and that you dont realise whats actually required.

You keep mentioning a "certificate". What kind of "certificate" are you referring to ?

When a boiler is correctly fitted by a CORGI he completes the Benchmark Certificate. He also notifies CORGI and they advise the BCO and the notification number is added to the benchmark certificate.

In spite of what you or your BCO may think thats the correct procedure.

Please email me the name and telephone number of your BCO and I will explain it to him.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back