non-slip protection for my decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

got a newly built area of decking as part of a gazebo. its tanalised, but im assuming id also need further weather-proofing.
id buy some non slip stuff, but ive already got a full tin of decking oil in my garage from a few years ago. could i just chuck some sand or something into the tin, mix it up and paint it on? would this have the same effect or look a bit rubbish? if not sand anything better? whats in the professional stuff?

thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
sadexpunk, good evening.

I must admit to historically had several slips on Decking.

I think that the sand mixed with [Anything] simply will not last, because normal foot traffic will abrade the sand off the timber?

The one thing that I have seen working and working well is "Chicken Wire"?

The way I have seen it done is to get a hold of rolls of Galvanised Chicken wire, and using a staple gun with the correct size of staple ix the Chicken wire to the decking, job done, non-slip no maintenance?

Just a thought?

Ken

hmmm, i agree itd be non-slip ken, but itd look bluddy awful!! :D

any idea what they put in the official stuff to stop it wearing away under foot traffic?

thanks

Sponsored Links
To be honest now its down you have very limited choices. Pre treateing a dry board with an epoxy resin impregnated with grit in workshop conditions would probably be effective. Trying to do the same thing on decking in situ would most likely end up in a horrible mess.

The time to think about this was before you laid it when you could have used some of the cork insert boards or articificial grass insert boards. I have never seen any effective treatment for decking after laying. Other may have though thats just my experience.

By far the best thing you can do is keep it from from algae. Buy a big tub of hypochlorite and use it diluted perhaps 5:1 water:hypo and this will keep all algae off and afterall the algae is whats slippy, not just water.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I know this answer is going to mean you won't see most of your decking any more however the other day I was working at clients house and they had covered their decking with a decent quality fake grass and it looked really quite effective.

I have heard good things about Osmo anti-slip decking oil not used it myself (yet) though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back