Non- standard size sockets required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a minor problem in my kitchen. When the previous owner has cut holes in the splash back for sockets, they have made them the size of a standard socket. Therefore the socket itself is sunk right back and looks a real mess.

I think a picture will make it clear what I mean

We are planning to sell, so I'd like a cheap fix to make this look better.
I thought I'd seen some brushed metal sockets that had a slightly larger profile than standard, so would cover up the rough edges of the splashback, but I can't seem to find anything now.

Anyone got any good ideas to fix this up?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Typical Yorkshire that! I bet the previous owner had carpet in the bathroom too :LOL:

You might find flat plate items with a slightly larger faceplate, but I doubt they will cover that hole completely.

Go to a DIY store, and see if they still sell those awful plastic surrounds for sockets and switches. They are designed for covering up rough plaster around switches etc, do the job, but I hate them.

You may also need longer screws, or fetch the metal backbox forward a cm or so.

Also buy a new socket, it'll dress it up a treat ;)

PS. Which part of Sheffield?

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any good ideas to fix this up?
http://www.formica.co.uk/

And cut the holes a little smaller.

If we were staying here thats what I'd be doing. But we are selling up, so really I just want a cheap quick fix so that it doesn't look the total mess it does now.
The whole house is not finished to amazing standards, so it does not need to be perfect....just better!

I wouldn't have thought a sheet of Formica would break the bank but there ya go.

I wouldn't have thought a sheet of Formica would break the bank but there ya go.

Its not just the money...I'm taking in to account how useless I am at jobs like that.
Pretty sure I could make a better job than the bread knife job above, but I'm looking for a lazy way out!

He's a Yorkshireman:

Hear all, see all, say nowt.
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt,
and tha ever dus owt for nowt,
All-us do it for thee-sen.

:LOL:

I'm in Doncaster, about 1.5 miles North West of the town centre. ;)

Change your location to Yorkshire, Doncaster aint in Sheffield (as much as Sheff would like that, but lets face it, we are the only town in S Yorkshire with our own postcode!) :LOL:

Also, the flat plastic ones will do the job better than those wooden mouldings.

It won't make a penn'orth of difference to the sale price so why bother.

They'll rip that horlicks of a kitchen out on day one and pop in an IKEA special.

It won't make a penn'orth of difference to the sale price so why bother.

They'll rip that horlicks of a kitchen out on day one and pop in an IKEA special.

i hope not, those ikea kitchens are crap to install and crap design, especially for old houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back