None of the flat switches and sockets are flush against wall

Sponsored Links
That range is from the same manufacturer asthese (clicky) and they are suitable for 25mm backboxes. Screwing them up until they bow or break is dangerous and unacceptable. It is in fact arguably a direct breech of Regulation 134.1.1 which states "Good workmanship by competant persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipement shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment"

Hello,

Thank you so much everyone for all your replies,

All the backbones were 25mm metal ones and have taken photos:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2a0dc80.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/j5z0w3.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/1eqtt.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2uic9ds.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/fa6brn.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2ikdzrr.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/sf9op0.jpg

What I really don't understand is, if the backboxes I provided were not suitable for the sockets, surely any electrician would know that before fitting them all in and loosing me the right to return them to the store for different ones?

Also if he cuts back the wires, how much is minimum he can leave? I am worried he may cut to much and that it cause another problem later when trying to change them.

I completely agree this range from TLC are not the most rigid but they are refusing to refund them as they have been opened and I can't afford to buy new ones either.

Did he know you were going choose flat plate sockets when you gave him the boxes?

Why did you supply the boxes anyway?

You don't really want to be cutting much more off than has already been done.

Maybe you could fit a spacer behind each socket. It isn't going to look great, but it'll work.

Sponsored Links
The problem is that the 25mm boxes are too shallow. It is possible to fit certain brands of flat plate sockets (Crabtree Platinum) to 25mm boxes, but only just, and the wires have to be very carefully positioned and cut to exactly the correct lengths etc.

Other issues include:
Backboxes not cleaned out - full of plaster mess
Wires too long
Grommet not used on box entry
Wires not dressed correctly
**** poor plastering job
Poor quality sockets

To fix easily:
Plaster cleaned out of boxes.
Wires cut and dressed properly.
Standard depth sockets fitted.
Other sockets shoved on Ebay and got rid of.

Or, hack out those backboxes, fit deeper ones, replaster walls, repaint walls, refit shonky quality Varishyte sockets and hopefully they will fit this time.

Thanks for advice :)

No he didn't know I just provided the backboxes that were sold to me with the sockets but he didn't see the sockets until he came to fit them, my fault I appreciate but surely he could have just looked at it and known it wasn't going to fit without opening and trying all of them? or just tried one?

The white plastic one should go back, but clearly the box is full of plaster. Dressing the wires better may help too. He should have been able to get the white ones to fit, so he was careless there.

As for the metal ones, as what's been said above. They may go back better by re-dressing the wires in the box, but they don't want to be shortened by too much. Maybe your electrician or another electrician could attempt this.

Easy solutions are to fit a plastic or wooden spacer/plinth between the wall and the socket, or buy some new sockets which don't have such a thin faceplate.

Bit daft of your electrician to fit ALL the sockets when it was obvious they weren't going to fit properly. He should have battled with the first one until he managed to get it fit properly. If he decided the first one wasn't going to fit he should have contacted you so you could select another range.

Get a recommended electrician round to have a go.

Try sending a picture of the side of a socket against a new back box, or even a ruler, so we can see how chunky it is.

No he didn't know I just provided the backboxes that were sold to me with the sockets but he didn't see the sockets until he came to fit them, my fault I appreciate but surely he could have just looked at it and known it wasn't going to fit without opening and trying all of them? or just tried one?
How did you find him?

What experience does he have?

It's quite possible that he's never seen sockets like that in his life before.

In my experience with flat plate accessories.

A 25mm box is rarely deep enough.

Also, the plaster must be completely cleared out from the box. ie you must be able to see all of the box, the plaster must not overhang anywhere.
The flat plate sockets fit very tightly into the box itself and any buits of plaster that are left will stop the socket fitting properly.

A message to the DIY browsers of this forum

and it has been stated over and over again.

You will not be saving any money by buying items for your electrician to fit.
He/she is the professional, and if it all goes Pete Tong (like this) then the electrcian will, quite rightly, say "I did my best with that crap stuff that you supplied"

A message to the DIY browsers of this forum ... and it has been stated over and over again. ... You will not be saving any money by buying items for your electrician to fit. He/she is the professional, and if it all goes Pete Tong (like this) then the electrcian will, quite rightly, say "I did my best with that crap stuff that you supplied"
Whilst I would agree with that as a general principle, as Rosie has said, one would also expect a professional to at least point out the problem. What I would not expect a professional to do (at least, not without a lot of comment, moaning and perhaps arguing) is fit lots of accessories in a manner which looked crap (even if it were genuinely 'the best that they could do' with what had been provided) and then 'proudly' walk away without any comment - would you?

Kind Regards, John

Yes John, in an ideal world. But Rosie didn't tell him there were flat plate accessories to fit
Thanks for advice :)

No he didn't know I just provided the backboxes that were sold to me with the sockets but he didn't see the sockets until he came to fit them,

Really she means "I just provided the backboxes that I had specified and supplied"
He'd probably set aside a morning to second fix and made the best of a bad job. No excuse, but I really don't see that he is to blame.

The electrician clearly has no pride in leaving a job in that state. Common sense dictates he can't leave the sockets like that. He should have said something before fitting all of them. And if the data about the boxes only having to be 25 mm deep IS correct then he has no excuse.

It's reasonable enough for an electrician to fit 25 mm deep boxes if he hasn't been told a particular style socket is to be fitted.

But it should be obvious to him you can't fit sockets with a gap around them like that.

It's also obvious you shouldn't fit expensive materials like that if they don't fit, because someone's going to be chucking their money down the drain. You can't assume or guess something will do, particularly when it's so obviously wrong in the first place.

The next step is for someone competent to see if they will fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back