Not enough hot water,only 1/2 a bath and heating is average

Spraggo 1 and 2 ok but all lockshelds fully open?.How do you suggest balancing the system if not with l/s valves?

The trvs will automatically balance the system providing that they are not set to full on. Won`t they???.

Sponsored Links
The trvs will automatically balance the system providing that they are not set to full on. Won`t they???.

Nope, you need to balance the system as you would without trvs, leaving it unbalanced you would need to wait until the room nearest the boiler was at a reasonable temp before the trv started to close and pushed the heat to the further rads.

Me thinks somene has cut corners and made some dollar! T****r.

Me thinks you have been watching rogue traders a bit too much .

I would always fit a cylinder large enough to supply the short term demand without relying on reheating.

For a four bed a 210 li is the minimum recommended size!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi picasso

So what you are saying in fact is that the TRVs do automatically balance the system?.

Hi spraggo the idea of balancing to to have all the rads heating up evenly, ie the furthest rad the same temp as the nearest rad to the boiler, if you use trvs to try and balance a system the house will heat up very unevenly.

Hi spraggo the idea of balancing to to have all the rads heating up evenly, ie the furthest rad the same temp as the nearest rad to the boiler, if you use trvs to try and balance a system the house will heat up very unevenly.

My personnal choice is to open all the lockshields fully then set the TRVs to mid position, wait until all rads are hot and then turn the TRVs on the rads that get too hot down a bit and turn the TRVS on the rads that are not getting hot up a bit. THen wait for a couple of days to adjust accordingly.

I would always fit a cylinder large enough to supply the short term demand without relying on reheating.

For a four bed a 210 li is the minimum recommended size!

Tony
thought you said you would only fit 300L tanks no matter what the needs of the house were :LOL: 85 t0 210 L is a weight increase of 125 kg lets hope the op floor is strong enough :LOL:

a fast recovery cylinder is good were you have hot water priority. then you can leave hot water on all the time.

Ok the tank stat is at 50, turned it down today as Mrs was moaning about how hot the water is coming out of the taps.
My understanding as a novice is that hot water vessels over 15 litres must be kept above 60 for at least an hour a week to prevent the growth of legionella bacteria. Unfortunately, most condensing boilers are most efficient if the return temperature is lower.

Two things that might help:
1. 'Balance' the radiators by adjusting their lockshield valves - this just ensures that the radiator return temperature is typically 11 degrees cooler than the feed with the TRVs wide open. This will help boiler efficiency and generally improve the heat distribution.

2. Consider a temperature limiting thermostat on the hot water feed. These are typically set at 45. I sympathise with your missus; about 60 people (mostly very old and very young) die in the UK every year from massive third degree burns getting into baths at close to 60 degrees. Usually the temperature limiters are just fitted to the bath hot tap. I don't know if they can be fitted at the hot water cylinder.

It is unusual to have both a TRV and a room thermostat controlling the same radiator. Watch out for problems with the heating not turning off at the room thermostat. This can lead to excess wasted heat from poorly insulated pipes outside the 'heated envelope' (e.g. under a suspended ground floor or in a garage).

ajrobb";p="1800165 said:
hobbles";p="1799375 said:
Two things that might help:
1. 'Balance' the radiators by adjusting their lockshield valves - this just ensures that the radiator return temperature is typically 11 degrees cooler than the feed with the TRVs wide open. This will help boiler efficiency and generally improve the heat distribution.

What use are TRVs if they are used fully open?.

What use are TRVs if they are used fully open?.
Adjusting the lockshields is done with the TRVs open to simulate a cold house. Once the radiators are balanced, the TRVs are returned to their normal setting.

Adjusting the lockshields is done with the TRVs open to simulate a cold house. Once the radiators are balanced, the TRVs are returned to their normal setting.

Thats your choice, no offence but i`ll stick to mine.

Cheers spraggo

Thats your choice, no offence but i`ll stick to mine.
As long as you appreciate that the boiler can run with a higher return temperature while the house is heating up. This can use up to 10-15% more gas. Once the house is warm, I agree, the TRVs control the flow and there are no efficiencies to be gained (until the room stat starts switching).

As long as you appreciate that the boiler can run with a higher return temperature while the house is heating up. This can use up to 10-15% more gas. Once the house is warm, I agree, the TRVs control the flow and there are no efficiencies to be gained (until the room stat starts switching).[/quote]

Same difference then. Who mentioned room stats?. :confused:

In my view its behoven on a heating engineer to adjust a system so that it heats up the house quickest and is the most economic. In other words operates correctly.

If you dont balance the rads on start up the nearest ones will hog all the flow and the furthest will not start to warm until after the nearest TRVs have started to close.

If the house is tenanted then individuals cannot be trusted to use TRVs correctly and may even just open windows when it gets too hot.

No excuse for not balancing in my opinion. Thats one of the differences with a quality installer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back