Not enough HW, 3 cold rads, vent pipe over pumping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to help my mum who has a combination of problems. From what I can see she has a pumped system that has two pipes on the rads downstairs and a one pipe system on upstairs rads (!). All rads were working in various degrees. Current problems :

When she runs a bath only 3" of hot water comes out (immersion does work, but this is without using the immersion), water starts hot then runs cold (She used to get a full bath no problem).

When the hot water comes on the central heating stops.

The open vent pipe from boiler to F&E cistern is really hot and pumping over, more of a drip than constant, water in F&E tank is warm, not boiling.

Last 3 rads on upstairs system cold - used to work a few weeks ago.

Condensation on all upstairs windows (never happened before).

I've looked at a mixture of answers on the forums for individual problems but wonder if there is one problem affecting all the above? Previously the system has been drained, upstairs rads replaced, downstairs ones flushed due to previous massive sludge and leaks. I suspect there may be an air lock upstairs to the last rads or possibly block to cold feed on cylinder (from looking at other forum issues) or is the motorised valve at fault! but would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions - in laymans terms!

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back