Not happy with the repointing done to the outside of our house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would appreciate peoples advice on the situation we are in.

We about to pay for work done to the back of our house. We had it blasted to remove paint, and then to be repointed. We are happy with the paint removal, however not happy with the repointing.
Before they repointed they called to explain that the previous people that pointed the house made a mess of it and left mortar on the face of the brick. Which i can see is true. He explained there isn't anything they could do to fix this as it could damage the brick.

They then repointed, but I feel that they also did not do a good job repointed and I think it looks an absolute mess.

I appreciate that the old mortar is not going to help this, however when you look at just the reporting they did I feel they did a sloppy job. He explained that it is due to the way it was previously mortared and it is difficult to mortar with it on.
Other peoples opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!! Very stressful!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Rubbish. Not done by anyone qualified to even point.

How deep were the joints raked out? That finish is typical of a joint not being raked out enough and so a proper weathering face not being formed. I can't even make out what face finish it's supposed to be.

Snots everywhere and should have been cut off.

Compare with ....

image195.jpg

I'm not a builder but about 20 years ago I raked out all the pointing on my rear wall after knocking the rendering off.
No experience of pointing but with a bit of care and attention I soon got the hang of it and produced a much better finish than this.
Mine were filled to the surface then I run a bent round bar along the joint to produce a curved face like the one in woodys' picture. Admittedly not quite as professional but certainly passable.

Sponsored Links
looks like I laid the bricks above the door. (1st pic)

agree with others pointing is very poor if done by a prfessional.

Thanks for all your comments! They came back today and and they did a patch differently to see if we are happy with it. Going to repoint free of charge. This time we will be in when they do it

And what are they going to do?

Are they going to dig the pointing out?

I suspect that they will use brick acid to clean the brick faces.

I am a decorator and not a pointer...

On my current job. The pointers hacked out the old lime based pointing and repointed (using a gorgeous weather struck pointing) .
The bricks are flettons. There was smudging on the facings.

When I asked about it they said that they anticipated it.

They used a dilute brick acid and hose pipe to remove the smudges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back