not single brick ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
we are currently looking at purchasing a bungalow, so far so good until the mortgage got the valuation back with a valuation of £0
the guy that did the valuation said that Between 40 and 50 percent of the external wall areas are a single brick construction including the kitchen.

i went back down to see the bungalow today, as this didn't seem right to me, the main bungalow is all cavity wall, then there is an extension which is where the kitchen is and this has a flat roof

after doing some googling, it appears that the kitchen and extension have been constructed with an english garden bond.
Which seems all okay, and this would mean it is not a single brick construction ?

as i thought single brick construction would basically mean just stretcher bricks on top of one another.

we are currently disputing the valuation at the moment anyways, as a previous buyer had a valuation done, only a month before and this information regarding the wall was not mentioned at all, and the full asking price was recommended.

Just wanted to check if this was correct regarding the english garden bond not being single brick ?

many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
By 'single brick', does he mean 'full brick' (ie 215mm) or 'one-half brick'
(ie 102mm)?

There's sometimes confusion in terms here; as an example, a garage built in single brick would have walls one-half brick thick.

One suspects the extension may be an old one, done in full-brick thickness. Maybe the surveyor has been woolly in his terminology and thereby suggested the walls are too thin.

hi there :)
just says single brick on the list , it has double glazing etc, have attached a couple of photos :)

GALLERY]

One brick = 215mm

Half brick = 102mm

Those are standard terminology for brick wall thickness

Headers suggest the wall is one brick thick. You will see this at any openings

There is nothing wrong with one brick thick walls - other half the country's buildings have walls like this

Sponsored Links
thanks for that i didn't think it would be a problem like that just to basically write the house off like they did, as only a month ago, natwest had arranged a valuation for a previous buyer, and they came back basically saying the house was fine and fit for the asking price.
The only reason that buyer had to pull out was because his chain fell through.
I am also with Natwest and they arranged for a different company to do our valuation which came back with it being valued at £0
I have queried this with Natwest, as they say being as though it was only a month ago, another valuation shouldnt have been done. as the previous buyers was still live.
So at the moment its a bit up in the air :\

thanks everyone, by what you have all said, i would definatley say its 1 brick thick at the very least, so would have thought that this should be okay then really for the mortgage people, and not really causing the bungalow to have no value ! lol

just out of of interest, when people say a wall has a single skin wall, does that mean a half brick or a full brick ?

ah i see thankyou , i kept seeing it cropping up when people were talking about mortgages and walls lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back