Not sure how to deal with this exterior wall paint job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The end wall of our house is South facing and therefore gets all the sun in the summer and beaten by the wind and rain in the winter.

As you can see from the pictures there are numerous fine cracks in the wall.

The last couple of years I have just painted Leyland masonry paint onto the wall with a roller and it has looked ok-ish.

I went out today and hit it with the pressure washer to remove the loose and flaking paint.

What is the best way to fill/hide the cracks and then should I use some sort of primer before applying the masonry paint?

Is it worth using Pliolite resin paint instead of ordinary masonry paint?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Scrape off all the loose and flaking paint, go over the area with a hard sweeping brush to remove dust, give the bad areas a coat of solvent based stabilizing primer, fill the cracks with a good quality filler like Toupret murex or use rapid set cement, go over it with lightly with a damp sponge to replicate the render finish. Paint with any good masonry paint like Sandtex, Leyland truguard, Dulux weathershield etc. If you want to use pliolite then give the walls a coat of alkali resisting primer first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back