NTL/Virgin TV cable splitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if it is as simple as I think to split my NTL tv cable?

I have one cable coming into my current NTL tv box and I want to split it and run another cable into another room where I will connect another cable box.

I have done this with Sky tv in the past but I just wondered if it is the same thing with cable.

Also I noticed that the coax is white and thinner than normal black coax, do I need this special white coax for my extra line?

Hope this makes sense, cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
In a word, no!

Only NTL/Virgin engineers can work on this cable, your second box will need a subscription anyway so just get the engineers to run the cable as needed when they install the second box.

If you attempt this yourself and mess it up you could disrupt not just your own cable service but your neighbours too.

As above, Virgin will get a bit antsy bout you doing the work.

Even if you have a box you will need a subscription and card for the box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-way-Cable-s...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

3039_2.JPG

It can be used with analogue and digital tv and also with cable modems.

It is specifically designed to split cable and aerial signal to a secondary location such as an extra cable tv box,cable modems,etc.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yup, any passive splitter such as the one linked to by Chri5 will do the job, it needs to be fitted with 'F' connectors. At my previous house I piped my NTL feed into a 19" rack along with all my networking gear, and from there it could be patched to anywhere around the house.

This included a 30m+ run of cable to an outbuilding, the signal there was excellent, I used good quality connectors and CT100 cable and there was less attenuation on that run than a 10m lead NTL provided themselves!

Sponsored Links
On a similar theme, can the cable go into a Loftbox and from there into other rooms with a cable box in each room.

Would this splitter do the job in this situation - ie split the main feed and take one up to the loft where it is then distributed to individual boxes?

On a similar theme, can the cable go into a Loftbox and from there into other rooms with a cable box in each room.

No, sadly it isn't quite as easy as that. For a start, the frequencies NTL use to transmit many of their channels overlap with those used for terrestrial TV, so you wouldn't be able to have both. Secondly (unless you have an old analogue STB) you will require a return path to allow the receiver to talk back to the network, and this isn't something you'll find on a loftbox. You can buy signal amps designed for use with CATV that do support return paths, but it's not really a DIY job.

Would this splitter do the job in this situation - ie split the main feed and take one up to the loft where it is then distributed to individual boxes?

It depends on your incoming signal level, but the answer is probably yes, it should work with a passive splitter. If your signal level is low then your cable provider may need to put you on a higher tap in the street cab, but I'm not sure how you'd ask for this without making it obvious that you were altering their cabling.

Plus, return-feed enabled amps are very expensive! They might not even work properly with the NTL/Virgin signals.

Having done this myself before with NTL, yes you can take the NTL signal and split it using a splitter like the one shown above. Each splitter will make the signal approx 3db less. This is all that NTL will do, add a splitter & a new cable anyway. ISTR that they cost about £7

As said you need a 2nd subscription for the 2nd box, unless it either illegally chipped or used to watch the freeview channels.

If your only watching the freeview channels or chipped then you do not need the return path (or want it if chipped) so you can then send the signal around the house using a sat distribution amp. (if thats what a loftbox does).

ISTR The std to air channels were still available, all depending upon if your STB has a pass through fitted to it, as its most likely not these days and they are all sent in the freeview chammels via cable then they are not worth worrying about sending around the system unless to non STB tv's.

P.S. I'm not condoning a chipped box, just mentioning it.

3039_2.JPG

The engineer left me a 4way splitter when my ntl was installed, as I said I may expand the computer network. I currently have 2 set top boxes located downstairs, 1 is V + and the other is standard set top box, both on separate subscriptions. I also have broadband, with one cable modem. These all come in through same feed, the first double splitter is hooked too V+ box with a 3.5dB, the other goes through to other room. Here it is attached to another double splitter with the same 3.5dB, one feeds my cable modem the other goes to the tv set top box.
Now the 4 way splitter has another plug showing 7.0dB. Can someone explain what this is and why it is not present in any of the other connections.
I would like to extend the broadband connection upstairs, so it has its own hub. And I would like to try and get the virgin tv upstairs aswell. This tv connection would be transmitted and controlled from downstairs set top box.
Any Help, Advice or 2 week holiday in Barbados Greatly Received

Splashin
:rolleyes:

Well what i can tell you and i've done quite a few times when installing internet on virgin media,V/M send a kit modem/splitter/cable/spanner and they give instructions on how to fit it so they are allowing you to work with there cable of couse if you do something wrong and they have come out and fix it then they will charge you.
On the cable box if there is an attenuator it's best to remove it as the splitter will attenuate the signal so you don't want double the loss.
As for connecting a second box which they have not supplied i think you may be on dodgy ground but i dont think a second box costs much anyway.

andy

The engineer left me a 4way splitter when my ntl was installed, as I said I may expand the computer network. I currently have 2 set top boxes located downstairs, 1 is V + and the other is standard set top box, both on separate subscriptions. I also have broadband, with one cable modem. These all come in through same feed, the first double splitter is hooked too V+ box with a 3.5dB, the other goes through to other room. Here it is attached to another double splitter with the same 3.5dB, one feeds my cable modem the other goes to the tv set top box.
Now the 4 way splitter has another plug showing 7.0dB. Can someone explain what this is and why it is not present in any of the other connections.

If you could post a picture then it would help, but it sounds as if what the engineer has left you is a tap, not a splitter. Similar sort of thing, but each output (or 'tap') is designed to give a specific signal level. You might, por exemplo, use a 3dB tap for something close by with a short cable, while a 7dB tap could feed a longer cable (which will attenuate much of the signal) to feed receivers that are further away.

As you can see from other posts in this topic, cable engineers will sometimes use a passive splitter and put signal attenuators on certain receivers as necessary, rather than using a tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back