Nuisance tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was having problems with nuisance tripping because my oven was on the downstairs ring main and not on a radial circuit. Every time we had the kettle, TV, oven and microwave on then it would overload. I decided to investigate as the CU has a radial circuit and it transpired that this was already wired to a socket and switch next to the oven. After a bit of work I was able to connect up the oven to this radial circuit and it's fine. The only problem is that I am getting nuisance tripping on the downstairs ring main all the time, even if it's just the kettle that's switched on. I've tested it a few times and the kettle and washing machine (independently) will both cause a trip. In my naivety I thought that removing the oven would have eliminated the tripping so why should it immediately have got a lot worse?

In anticipation!

Ian

Sponsored Links
You haven't said what is tripping or what rating. A little more info will help.

I better understand the problem but I don't know if I still have a problem.

The downstairs ring main MCB was tripping every time I switched the kettle on. It transpires the disconnestion of the oven was a red-herring and it was merely the MCB that was overloading. The MCB has B6 written on it and all the others have B and then a number which looks like it's the current rating.

Next to the MCB that keeps tripping is another MCB with B32 on it and this also controls the downstairs ring main. When I have the B32 switched on then it won't trip, when I have the B6 it trips. So, put simply, I can get rid of the nusiance tripping by switching on the B32 MCB rather than the B6 MCB.

My new question is, do I have a problem with the fact that my downstairs ring main is controlled by two separate MCBs each with a different rating?

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Yes, most certainly do.

It would appear from what you have said that the ring final circuit has somehow ended up interconnected with a 6amp lighting circuit, which is very undesireable, most likely a DIY bodge somewhere, I suugest you get someone in to track it down and remove it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back