Oak floor cleaning assistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an oak floor laid (solid tongue and groove, glued to floor) in our kids play room. It was pre sanded although not finished with any protective product. For timing reasons we had to let the decorators in before we could wax oil the floor so it was left as bare wood. I now need to clean it before wax oiling and wondered what the best thing to use was. There are some paper paste marks but all in all it does not look bad. Can I use a water/white spirit mix, something else or am I best to hire a sander and just re sand the floor down.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Try white spirit etc first in a (hidden) corner. If that doesn't help you'll have to sand (grit 80 and finish with grit 120 - not higher!)

Make sure you hire a proper sander, preferably not a drum sander, this can create shatter marks and your floor will look rubbish!

Nic - if the whole floor is 'grubby' then follow WYL's advice. If, however, you're only concerned about the spots the decorators left, then a good method of 'lifting' these, and other blemishes, is with a cabinet scraper. 2 types of these are available - one with handles & an adjustment screw, the other is a rectangle of hardened steel (about 120mm x 80mm and flexy thin). By using these you can work on a tiny area with great control, removing a less than tissue paper thick shaving (so thin they are translucent).

Sponsored Links
Your spot advice is sound Symptons, but sanding still has to be done. Unfinished floors installed and then other work etc taken place on/above the unfinished floor will result in (sometimes unseen) blemishes, like 'greasy fingers' etc. If you don't 'remove' them they will show up once the oil or varnish is applied.

Recommend light sanding with grit 120 before finish is applied.

Cheers guys.

I will sand. Trying to clean was a quick option that would not give the same results. Having looked at it again, I know it will have to be sanded and I should not try to cut corners.

For the sake of a machine and a couple of days it's not worth the risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back