OAK Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused:

I am putting down NOFMA 20mm thick T & G oak flooring. Once it's put down, I have to sand it and then I was told that I have to fill the gaps with the sanded sawdust. This sawdust should be mixed with what??? . I am not sure what is the best subtance to use, it should be fexible though, as wood moves. Does anyone know?

Also after all this as my final finish, I am going to either oil or wax it , but not sure which yet. I need to know what is better for spillages, as some of this oak floor will be in the kitchen area. Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Usually when working with wood,if you are filling cracks with the sandings of the same material, you would mix it with wood glue (pva) to make a paste. I assume its the same for real wood floors. You may then want a final sand with an extremely find grit paper.

Hi Tonino. Before you start sanding and filling: what quality/grade did you purchase? Do you need to sand to get rid of machine marks or excessive filling of knots?
Or just to get rid of 'grease-spots' (finger / hand prints from handling the boards).

Next question: are the boards bevelled? If so and you need filling, best to do board for baord otherwise you're bevells will fill up and that's very hard work to clean again.

For suitable HardWaxOil (even in various colours) see here . HWO is waterrepellent, so very suitable for kitchens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back