Ocean Alpha 240P Issue/s or Possible Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really hope someone can assist with this?

I have an Ocean Alpha 240P Combi which has (generally) been running absolutely fine for around 10 years.

A few months ago it stopped working (the pilot wouldn't light), but as it was summer we were not worried, so didn't "get it fixed" until last week.

Over the course of the following week, our plumber came, and replaced the thermocouple(r) as well as the Gas Valve (This was yesterday). It took him a while to "get it started", but all worked fine......for about 90 minutes. We had it set to Hot Water AND heating, and didn't touch anything. The pilot light went out.

I got the pilot re-lit eventually (took about 15 minutes). It makes the "clicking" noise, but wasn't "catching" (hope that makes sense?!). This was last night, again worked for around 90 minutes, then pilot light out again.

Same thing this morning......

So......my questions are :-

1) Does anyone know of any reason why this might be happening?

2) If I wanted to replace the Alpha 240P with a "direct equivalent" (i.e. same dimensions, etc), what would you recommend?

3) How much do you think I should pay for "direct replacement" boiler as well as Bleeding 7 x Radiators (based in Essex).

Would really appreciate any advice anyone can give!

Many thanks in advance,
James

Sponsored Links
Direct replacement would be baxi 105he that was designed on what you already have.

Sounds like you have faulty boiler stat /overheat stat

Thanks for the prompt reply namsag!

Is the Baxi 105he a good/reliable boiler (as to be honest until now I can't fault the 240p)....?

How much is a Boiler Stat/Overheat Stat likely to cost me?

Thanks again,
James

105 is a very reliable boiler also badged as a main 30he and potterton performa 30he.
boiler stats(sensors) are around tenner each overheat stat around 20 quid

Sponsored Links
Thanks again namsag!

Just checked on eBay for the Baxi, and going for between £600-£800, so sounds like the kids may be going hungry this Christmas ...... :(

If you are "in the trade", how much would you charge for fitting one of these and bleeding the Rads roughly?!

before you dive in with both feet get some cleaner in the system before you start

then when you drain down for the change you have a head start ;)

There's a host of reasons why the gas valve won't hold in and on your boiler it's clearly not through overheating when the problems there when the boilers still cold.

It is highly unlikely there was a problem with the gas valve...I have never changed one yet on any boiler for a pilot/thermocouple problem. Strip out the electromagnet...there's nothing really to fail in it.

Most likley reasons in no particular order are.

1. Universal thermocouple being used and not being aligned correctly/matched to the overheat stat.

2. Partial blockage of pilot assembly or corroded etc.

3. Incorrect pilot pressure adjustment.

4. Pilot gas pipework leaking at pilot union.

5. Overheat stat high resistance (and also poor connections at gas valve end)

6. Pilot shield incorrectly positioned.

7. Front insulation panel incorrectly fitted

Needless to say all gas-safe only so get him back and tell him to check above list.

Be aware that pressing the knob on the control panel does not always fully push in the gas valve knob making lighting difficult. Lower the controls panel and directly operate the gas valve knob.

If the pilot goes out when the burner is running it can be low working pressure at the gas valve from undersized pipework/black dust etc. Only after all these checks have been made can you consider overheating.

Heard recently plumb centre have 105HEs going for £495 exc vat.

Gasguru. Thanks for the list, that's really appreciate!

Just to confirm, as you say if I lower the front panel and push the "button" in directly rather than using the control panel, the pilot is "much more reliable"......However, it runs for 90 Mins, stops, 90 mins, stops, 90 mins, etc., etc..... would the boiler have "warmed up" in this time?! Does this not suggest a temperature sensor of some description tripping out?!

Not sure if this helps, but when it went off about 30 mins ago, I thought I heard the boiler "click", went to (behind the) control panel without touching any other dials, etc., and pilot wouldn't "ignite" (no clicking noise when holding the button/dial in)....!?

Gas Valve.....I know NOTHING about boilers (as you can probably tell) but when I realised I had paid out nearly £300 for Gas Valve, Themocouple *YES, it IS a Universal Thermocouple* and a new boiler was "only" around £1,000 I sort of wish I had just bought a new boiler....

Regarding the Front insulation Panel fitment......the top right corner "washer" (can't think what they are called) that holds the screw in tight is missing, but it seems fairly "tight".....I'm assuming if it's not "air-tight", then this just means the pilot could be "blown out"...?!

kevplumb.........thanks also for the recommendation!

davebgas. Thanks, but just checked the gasplumb website, and they have "BAXI 105HE COMBI PACK OFFER" at £717, or "BAXI 105HE COMBI EXC.FLUE" at £1,134 but these are "retail prices". I assume when you call up, they give you the "current price"!?

Anyway, I'll give them a try on Monday!

Thanks again,
James

TBH the Oceal Alpha 240 should be easily fixable, parts are availible and at the end of the day they arn't a bad boiler (budget end of market) ;)

Thanks to all for your help and advice to date.

Just some diagnostic information which may help solve the issues.

If I turn the dial to Hot Water AND Heating, it doesn't matter what temperature I set to it to, the pilot light will always go out after around 80 minutes or so.

However, if I set to Hot Water ONLY, then it worked for at least 10-12 hours (before I switched back to Hot Water and Heating again).....which lasted around 80 minutes before the pilot light went out again....

Once the Pilot light goes out, the boiler doesn't seem to want to start again until I turn it off (by turning the Hot Water/Heating Dial to the middle "off" position).

At around the time the boiler hits this 80 (or so) minute threshold, it seems to make a "clicking" noise at the time/shortly before the pilot light goes out.

In addition, when I have the dial set to Hot Water AND Heating, the boiler makes some strange noises (like a "banging" noise) at random times, which I'm guessing is "Water Hammer" (?) or due to crap in the radiator/s?!

Finally, not sure if this happens all the time or not but when I happened to be standing near the boiler during one of it's "bangs", I noticed the pressure dial raise/fall a couple of times.....!?

Once again, any advice is much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back