Odd RCD problem

Sponsored Links
Winston, you are a complete rseole

The number for CED is 0208 503 8500
The number that SS gave is correct.

Did the fact that he missed out a space in the number format offend your pendantry so much that you again tried to score some sort of point.

I'm waiting to see a post from you that is of assistance to somebody.

Winston, you are a complete rseole

The number for CED is 0208 503 8500
The number that SS gave is correct.

WRONG. The number for CED is 020 8503 8500. There is no code 0208 and never has been.

Yet another example of manufacturers/suppliers not knowing what they are talking about.

Please don't call me rude names when I am correct.

Sponsored Links
No such code as 0208. The London code is 020. London numbers are 8 digits starting with 3, 7, or 8.
I thought I had "seen it all" from you, but this one must be coming very close to getting the supreme prize for pedantry!!!

The telephone network and equipment know nothing about spaces, since we don't 'dial' them (and there's another word for you to get pedantic about if you want!). One could equal write the number as 02 085 038 50 0 - and it would still get CED!

Kind Regards, John

I thought I had "seen it all" from you, but this one must be coming very close to getting the supreme prize for pedantry!!!

The telephone network and equipment know nothing about spaces, since we don't 'dial' them (and there's another word for you to get pedantic about if you want!). One could equal write the number as 02 085 038 50 0 - and it would still get CED!

Kind Regards, John

If you dial (or digitally key) 503 8500 in London you won't get CED. If you dial 8503 8500 you will get them. London numbers have 8 digits not 7.

Do you not have to dial the 020 as well?

In most places you have to dial the code as well, even for local numbers.

If you dial (or digitally key) 503 8500 in London you won't get CED. If you dial 8503 8500 you will get them. London numbers have 8 digits not 7.
Indeed, but if you dial/key/speak/whatever the full 11-digit number from anywhere (including London), you will get CED, regardless of where the spaces were it was written down.

Although what you say is true, I have come across very few people who think about, or use, London numbers in that (albeit correct) fashion. They thing of 0203, 0207 or 0208 as the 'code' and the remaining 7 digits as 'the number', and hence dial/key/speak/whatever the full 11-digit number. That is, of course, at least partial due to those of sufficiently long tooths having become very used to using the prior 0171 (which became 020 7) and 0181 (which became 020 8 ) ones.

Kind Regards, John

In his post, in trying to HELP the OP,

SS just copied the phone number from CED's own website as their contact number.
https://ced-elec.co.uk/cms/cms.jsp?menu_id=9010

Maybe Winston should take the matter up with CED. But I despair at the small-minded stupid postings from this person who is probably a frustrated failed traffic warden.

I suppose we could all ignore him, but that then exposes the unsuspecting DIY poster to the full blast of his cringingly pointless nit-picking.

Where's my whiskey.

Do you not have to dial the 020 as well? In most places you have to dial the code as well, even for local numbers.
I wouldn't say that's true of 'most places'. For example, where I live the code is of the form 01abc, which is followed by a 6 digit number. Anyone who shares that 01abc code (e.g. 01865 for Oxford) with the number they wish to call can just 'dial' the 6-digit number to make the call. A similar situation exists in most other areas I know about.

Kind Regards, John

Ah. Interesting. I just assumed it was the same everywhere.

A few years ago where I (used to) live, we had to dial the national (01202) code for even local numbers.

@JohnW2, the way I read the OP is that the switch is mechanically resetting/latching fine, with or without load. It's the presence of voltage which is intermittent, and appeared to miraculously appear, or remain stable, when a load was presented at switch-on.

Hence I think something on the switch contacts is burnt/broken allowing this odd behaviour.

Do you not have to dial the 020 as well? In most places you have to dial the code as well, even for local numbers.
I believe it varies by area, according to how exchanges are arranged. We really need Pauc_C (PBC_1966) who knows the history of all this back-to-front.

I have to say that nearly all of my experiences have been of the situation as I described. Indeed, if you go back one step further in London, from 0203/0208/0207, through 0171/0181 to plain old 01, I seem to recall that anyone in London could dial anyone else in London without using the '01' - but maybe time/age has distorted my recollections!

Kind Regards, John

@JohnW2, the way I read the OP is that the switch is mechanically resetting/latching fine, with or without load. It's the presence of voltage which is intermittent, and appeared to miraculously appear, or remain stable, when a load was presented at switch-on.
Ah - in that case I think we need the OP to clarify, since that is very different from what I thought he was describing.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back