Odd RCD problem

Change it now. It has exhibited dodgy behaviour before. It will happen again. It is faulty. Get it swapped out with a new replacement.
As I recently wrote, now that I actually understand what the OP was describing (i.e. what he was meaning by "would not reset"), for what it's worth I totally agree with you.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You have to use the full number if using a mobile.
That, of course, is inevitable. Since a mobile is not associated with any regional 'code' or exchange, it could not know where you were trying to call unless you gave it the full number - the same as when calling a UK number from overseas.

Kind Regards, John

It also doesn't know where you are calling from.

In the Northern US states they've had problems with 911 calls being sent to emergency services in Canada (and probably vice-versa), and a few years ago I read about people on the parts of the south coast close to France finding roaming charges on their bills because unnoticed by them their phone had latched onto Bouygues Telecom (other French mobile phone networks are available) instead of their UK network.

It also doesn't know where you are calling from.
The system surely knows precisely what mobile service 'mast' one is using at any time? However, translating that into a (BT) area code (to facilitate 'truncated dialling') would probably be impractical, particularly if the mobile phone was moving - not the least because the mobile user would not necessarily know what BT code area (s)he was in, and therefore would not necessarily know whether or not they needed to dial the full number.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes - it knows which mast you're using.

But it doesn't know that you might be in a significantly different place to the mast. Like in another country.

Yes - it knows which mast you're using. But it doesn't know that you might be in a significantly different place to the mast. Like in another country.
Oh, I see - you're just talking about the 'very close to the border' situation, which, as you say, arises everywhere.

Kind Regards, John

Surely you should only switch on roaming when you really need it.
One would have thought so - but knowing hoe people often work, if roaming is the default (when the phone arrives) I can well imagine that many people never turn it off!

Kind Regards, John

I have both northern and southern mobiles and often have to manually select networks to avoid either or both roaming when in the house. Also get stupid messages telling me what numbers for emergency services etc. several times a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back