Odd Size Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing two radiators as they've seen better days (thick with paint etc) However they're an odd size - 640 and 790 wide. Measuring centre to centre of the pipe gives 700 and 850 (ish) respectively. I say ish as the pipes are old and not exactly true.

I was considering adding valve extensions to a 600 radiator, but unsure about the 790 as I'd need to either go with a 700 and large extensions, or probably more sensible and possible, bend the pipe out by 10mm overall.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Don`t meddle with it - you`ll have a momentary lapse of reason and end up with a flood , you`ll have to ring a plumber and say "wish you were here" OR you could look for Myson ( welcome myson , to the machine ) Radiators in Imperial sizes :idea: :mrgreen:

Don`t meddle with it - you`ll have a momentary lapse of reason and end up with a flood , you`ll have to ring a plumber and say "wish you were here" OR you could look for Myson ( welcome myson , to the machine ) Radiators in Imperial sizes :idea: :mrgreen:

Lol, Indeed!

I looked at Myson but they don't have the style I (read Mrs) like. The valves measure 25mm from centre of valve/pipe to the thread. Given the pipe centres on the larger panel are 850 this would knock the size down to 800 (25+25) but I'm guessing the pipes would get pulled in when tightening the valves?

This is how I deal with that situation. Correctly done and finally painted they look OK. The extension is copper pipe cut to required length and the rad fitting is 1/2" BSP to 15mm copper coupling. View media item 39743

Sponsored Links
This is how I deal with that situation. Correctly done and finally painted they look OK. The extension is copper pipe cut to required length and the rad fitting is 1/2" BSP to 15mm copper coupling. View media item 39743

Thanks. I'm guessing the chrome extension kits do the same thing except they are pre-made and chrome?

The other question I have is about TRVs. Currently a fairly new Bosch Worster Greenstar 35i fitted with a Digistat thermostat in the lounge. The lounge radiator just has lock shield valves which I think is fine. However I'm under the impression all other radiators should have TRVs?

Trv's enable you to control each room individually. I don't know the building regs regarding an existing system,(been retired 2 yrs) but I would think they are not compulsory although you would get more precise control over room temps.

Well......

I managed to buy two Kudox radiators from B&Q for £40 due to the 15% off plus a further 20% off for signing up to their DIY Club. I've coupled those to Myson Petite TRVs and Lock shields.

I've been very lucky that the new valve tails effectively take up the difference in radiator size. So far one is done, and the other will get plumbed in tomorrow. The pipes in one room look rubbish as over the years they have been bent etc. But I'm certainly not chopping good pipe out to add new stuff to make it pretty. :LOL:

I almost had a 'moment' however. I connected everything up and started to re-pressurize the boiler when I heard hissing from the TRV. I didn't wait to find out if water would come out and took it off to find the compression olive was right at the tip of the pipe and the valve not on properly!

Onwards and upwards now though :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back