Odd switch above fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my house 6 years ago and have not really looked at the electrics in the garage until today when I had a problem.

The main consumer unit in the house feeds a four way fuse box with an isolator in the garage.

One of the 5A fuses in the garage fuse box feeds up to a switch mounted above the fuse box and then the wire on the other side of the switch runs back into the fuse box and seems to be terminated there. I cannot really see where it is terminated because it is behind the fuses.

I cannot see any holes in the boxes to suggest there were other cables that would have run any where else. Operating the switch does not appear to do anything.

Could anyone tell me why this arrangement might be in place ?

Sponsored Links
It seems unlikey as there is an old door bell system fed from the house and no sensible route from the garage to the door bell.

Many, many possibilities.......

Isolator for PIR floodlight?

Switch for additional garage lights removed by previous owner?

The 5A fuse suggests probably some kind of lighting/low current load but could be almost anything along that line.

I guess leave it switched OFF and see if you notice anything that doesnt work anymore :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back