Offset noggins and plasterboard sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Am plasterboarding the loft walls which have offset/staggered noggins at 400 spacing. The query I have is that I can can't use full length boards as I can't physically get them up the staircases. If I use shorter boards then every other noggin won't support the plasterboard edge. Do I need to cut each board 400 wide with a height to suit the distance between noggins?

Sponsored Links
Or put noggins in suitable places - never leave a plasterboard joint unsupported by some form of backing board or noggin

Thanks for the reply. Everything is fully insulated so would rather not modify. Looks like a lot of cutting/shaping ahead for me.

You can of course make a suitable backing strips using say 75x18 wood. Where you have an unsupported edge, screw on a section of the 75x18 such that half the width (37mm) is held by one sheet and half by the other. This strip then ties the two edges together and prevents them moving at some future date.

There's no need for the backing strips to be tied to the frame structure.

If the insulation you refer to is rigid and comes flush with the support frame, this can also act as backing support. Simply run a bead of glue such as no-more-nails to glue the unsupported edge to the insulation and do the same with the adjacent sheet's edge. The glued insulation then ties the two sheet edges together.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Jackrae. Insulation is rigid and flush so will adopt the no more nails method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back