To noggin or not to noggin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting close to plasterboarding my extension.There is a small stud wall, but mostly it's a simple sloping ceiling with a horizontal section (1m wide) at the apex.
The rafters are at 400mm centres.
I could put millions of noggins in to catch every edge, but I don't know if it's necessary.

I've put 2x2's across to support the horizontal boards and screwed these into the sides of the rafters. This would make the noggins quite fiddly.

I assume at the walls, the wall plasterboard holds up the ceiling boards, or should I noggin there too?

And what about horizontal joins between boards?

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
You need to make sure that any boards are well fixed at the edges as well as across the centre of the boards. As a general rule, the boards should not move once nailed/screwed in to place. A tiny bit of play is ok but ideally there should be no movement in the boards. The reson for this is that the plasterer will need to flatten the plaster before the second coat goes on and then again after. This requires him to apply a fair amount of pressure and if the boards are moving it will make it difficult to produce the desired finish.
The upshot is, don't scrimp on a few bits of timber and a few nails or screws. Get that mother f*"@*r well fixed![

In that case I'm nowhere near close to plasterboarding. :(
I wish I had a nail gun.

Sponsored Links
the board-ends need support (no flying of floating ends) as do intermittent sections of the board - i.e. 400mm, 450mm and 600mm centred studs or joists.

nailed or screwed every 9" (225mm) is ok.

you do not need to catch all the bound edges of the board though.

it 'aint like flooring ply. :rolleyes: :LOL:

the skim and scrim will take care of that.

p.s. a 2.4m+ high wall requires maybe mid-span or 1/3rd span noggins to stiffen the studs and is not meant for board edge support.

same for ceilings.

Complete noobie, so bear with this:
Instead of Noggins, is it possible to apply thin (10mm?) sheets of WBP or Marine grade ply across the studs to give a flat surface and then whack on the plasterboard?

I understand this will add 10mm to the wall and take up space. But is it going to provide a strong backing :?:

yes, it would be interpreted as sheathing and will stiffen the studding considerably especially if screwed.

it could also be a pain in the ass!

you may find a standard casing difficult to find and the plumbers and sparks may not be impressed.

....back peddling a little....... i think a standard 5 3/4" (dabbed wall) casing will be just right.

yeah, go for it. stuff the sparks and plumbers. ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back