OH S**T....COMBI BOILER LEAKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me any help please...heres a bit of background info...

boiler is a bosch 28cdi ...since about a year ago ive had problems with rising water pressure but have over come this by bleeding the radiator every couple of days ( were not talking a trickle here...about 2 litres comes out ! ) if i didnt do this then the pressure relief valve would kick in at 3 bar and cut the boiler out..
someone told me i had a fault with my " water to heat thingy !! " hope you guys know what that is..

anyhow...on to the leak...went in the spare room today and there was a big wet patch on the carpet...looked up into bottom of boiler and got a drip right in the eye for my pains...
stripped front of the boiler and the water is leaking from the radiator ? ( look like a very large can of sardines you would get in the supermarket !! oval 2 inches thick maybe.. ) right at the front bottom...ive wiped it to see where its coming from as it looks like a lot of thin sleeves of metal have been pressed together to make this radiator and it seems to be seeping between two of them...causing a drip every 30 secs...

so...can anyone tell me what it is....whats gone....and how much am i looking at ( cos i wont be eating this month i guess !!!! ) so i am forearmed before the engineer comes...

thanks , much appreciated
gav

Sponsored Links
the water to water heat exchanger is the term I think you are seeking...sounds like it has split and died. Not a cheap job without checking part numbers and costs but I'd guess at about 200

Sorry to sound a bit thick ! but this tin of sardines is the water to water/heat exchanger ????

Just a thought - are you sure your loop in isolator valve is functioning correctly?

Sponsored Links
Galvanised said:
Sorry to sound a bit thick ! but this tin of sardines is the water to water/heat exchanger ????

Yes it is but as keyplayer says first make sure your filling loop is not letting by water when it's turned off.

the filling loop uses a key insert ...without the key in the water will spill out of the pipe onto the floor so no water could enter the system that way....luckily im covered by house insurance...( phew ) any water leak from a fixed heating installation or so it says..

thanks for your help lads...much appreciated.

Galvanised don`t be too sure you are covered usually it is only the damage caused by the leak that is covered not the repair to the leak. Seek advise from your insurance company first so as you don`t pay too much for repair thinking what the hell i`m not paying for it.

You were right namsag...not covered but job is done now...was water-heat exchanger..cost £340 ( ouch ) fitted but cracking job and here in 30 mins..so cant really complain..knew it was going ...

cheers to all the lads who were spot on with their advice

beers to u...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back