oil boiler intermittent firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Riello oil boiler. It only seems to be firing/burning for about 25% of the time: so it comes on, makes a louder noise as it burns the oil and then goes quite again without actually shutting off. It does this repeatedly - fires up for 5 - 8 seconds, goes quite for the next few seconds and then fires up again. As such, the radiators don't get as warm as they should do. There is plenty of oil and I don't think there is a problem with the thermostat. Any ideas before it gets really cold and the missus blames me?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the flame isn't fully established......that is, it burns, then cuts, the ignition starts again and continues.
Maybe a photocell problem, maybe not.
When was the boiler last serviced?
John :)

Hiya. Thanks for getting back to us so quickly. It was serviced about 2 or 3 years ago, if that helps.

It's a little overdue, then but obviously that depends on how much use it gets....!
Really, the fuel pressure needs to be checked, and an analysis of the flue gases taken, if the boiler internals are clean. A good Oftec person would check all of this.
It's purely speculation on my part, but a dirty nozzle could cause the oil flame to dart about, causing the photocell to see the flame at one instant, and then see darkness the next, causing intermittent firing.
Have you noticed any smoking at the flue, or acrid combustion smells of late?
John :)

Sponsored Links
No strange smells or anything else out of the ordinary except the intermittent burning. When I have taken off the main housing off i have seen a little light, which goes on and off every few seconds.

The inside of the boiler is probably totally coked up. This stops the burner getting combustion air, hence on/off.
2-3 years is too long to leave a service. You wouldn't expect to see your car go without for that length of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back