Oil Boiler or Solid Fuel Boiler? What would you do?

A private gas supply would probably be cheaper but will need a route from the main road.

Ask National Grid Tranco for a supply quotation.

I was quoted £1300 by BG and direct to NGT it was £437.

But when they came to do it there were delays and they refunded me £200.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'll get on the phone to NGT tomorrow then Tony.

Thanks a lot for your help (and corgi's).

I'll keep this thread updated as and when I hear anything.

Thanks again.

Your existing oil boiler will power it easy.

You can even put your existing oil boiler outside if you want.

Sorted.

I've just had my multi fuel stove fired up this week. :D
Won't need oil anymore. lol.
uen.png

This is the controls right above which includes a Danfoss AVTA cooling valve with immersed sensor controlling the heat leak rad.
The HI-LO stats are Siemens (RAK TW-1000B-H) with remote sensors.
Its all works. And very well too I might add!
A cylinder with nested coils will eventually be fitted.
7bf.BMP

Sponsored Links
Norcon, was it you who had the Polish log boiler in your garage? If so, how are you getting along with it?

A relative. He hasn't purchased any oil since.
It's going well and no problems.

Norcon, sounds a good set up if you aren't having to buy any oil! How many rads does that heat? And what's the heat output?

Don't think they do a stove big enough for our needs (around 40kW).

The Polish boiler isn't the "WBS Burnit Boiler" is it?

My friend in France has a wood stove which probably gives about 8 kW to the heating circuit.

It takes 30 min to cut up 1200 mm logs into 400 mm lengths to fit inside the stove.

That amount runs for about three hours and is what we use during a shorter evening.

Seems it would take about 1½ hours to cut enough logs to give 40 kW and that's only three hours burning time!

Tony

Norcon, sounds a good set up if you aren't having to buy any oil! How many rads does that heat? And what's the heat output?

Don't think they do a stove big enough for our needs (around 40kW).

The Polish boiler isn't the "WBS Burnit Boiler" is it?

https://kotly.com.pl/kategoria-boilers-with-ventilator-32.html?l=en
It was the 40kw per eko. Don't be deceived by the price. Its built like a tank weighing in at 330 kgs.

My set up heats 3 Quinn Adagio column rads nicely in 3 separate rooms which are 1.8kw each and of course the stove heats the living room down stairs.
The oil boiler is still in place but no hydronic link up.

The advantages to that for me was a lot less piping during the installation plus it creates zoning to a certain extent without controls.

That is something definitely to consider then.

Just a quick update anyway.

Been on the phone to National Grid this morning. They want an up front quotation fee of just under £500 before they even do anything. :eek:

They can't give an indicative price either. Catch 22 comes to mind!

Pretty stumped...

Doing a coal boiler install at the minute, (50kw ish, they do upto 150kw)

Just waiting on the buffer vessel, plate heat exchanger, low loss header, Esbe VRC511, flue stat, draught regulator and a bit more bumf!

Guy currently spends £14kPA on oil!

View media item 68877

Another update. Gas is completely off the cards now as another ridiculous price has come back from one of the utility installers.

Anyway, after many calculations and much head scratching, we are going to stick with the oil boiler, but also connect a multi fuel boiler stove to also heat the system, like:

Snowdon-30-Multifuel-Boiler-Stove-4.jpg

So the set-up will look something like this:

zSXMZU3H.jpg

The thermal store will have to be upstairs to allow a gravity feed to the stove.

I assume I won't need my copper cylinder any more?

Would I need to incorporate this?:

http://www.h2panel.co.uk/h2index.htm

Would it also be possible to fit the Eco-Angus, as per my initial post, in lieu of the stove, as I'm sure they work on the same principle?

If you fit a thermal store you won't need a H2 panel.
Also if you want to create an atmosphere as depicted in your image above then I'd stick with the stove.

My stove is heating 4 rooms with ease rated at 10kw max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back