oil eggshell vs water base eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, this is my first post on this superb forum, I've learned a lot by using the search function already, thanks to the regulars and all the info!

Just on to the woodwork now and I can't determine which would be best, an oil based or water based eggshell.

My main question is simply will these give the same finish/appearance/sheen (assuming both Dulux)?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say, my woodwork is currently a horrible gloss black. I'm going to be using Zinsser B-I-N on it (from what i've read) as this will go over nicely without the need to sand down. Apparently this is good for either water based or oil based top coats.

Bin is fine but you should still rub it down to get rid of the nibs and bits that may be there now, especially being a shirting which does tend to gather more muck in the paint for various reasons.

The paint..plus have pluses and minuses...it deepends what you are looking for and what you are happy to sacrifice..

Water based advantages, quick drying, stays white, very low odour, easy to clean brushes and rollers..fairly hard wearing

Disadvantages...the quick drying bit might also be a pain when doing a large area of anything fiddly as the edge will go off quick before you have a chance to lay the paint off...doesnt adhere to most traditional painted surfaces...slighty different techniques are required when applying it..lots of painters I know say it feels like your glossing with vinyl silk emulsion. (id recommend a synthetic fillament brush not a traditional type)

Oil based...advantages can be used over most other types of coating, not to much practice required putting it on, hard wearing finish.

Disadvantages...strong odour, will go yellow over time, might run, clean up using white spirit or turps substitute.

Finish wise there isnt too much of a differenct..although some water based eggshell can have a bit more of a sheen to it than oil based.

Probably best the water based then. I have all the doors, skirting and banister to do, can a roller be used? I want to avoid brush streaks, if these are likely!

Sponsored Links
Oil based has a lower surface tension so goes smoother. Just like cooking oil goes flatter than water.

i always use water based eggshell. prime with zinnser and you can get away with one coat. i have found that oil based yellows after 1-2 years depending on how good the paint. if you do it properly with water based you should never have to redo it. only touch up the nicks and kicks you may get.

plus its good on the environment. no turps/white spirit which you cant put down the drain and you can buy one decent brush and keep it for years.

things like doors and hand rails id use oil based much more hard wearing than water based even tho water based is easier to apply

might as well buy 2 pots then as you'll have to redo it in a years time!! :p

LET THE FLAME BEGIN!

I went for waterbased in the end. I have a threshold to paint with it as well (lovely old door frames) but kinda thinking the waterbased won't be up to it now... Will see how I get on. :D

Cheers for the advice of all.

you might want to lacquer the threshold. a water based vanish will do the trick. or PVA ;)

you might want to lacquer the threshold. a water based vanish will do the trick. or PVA ;)

didnt think about a lacquer finish, can you recommend anything? Didn't realise you could use PVA for this purpose either, is it really the done thing?

coating it in PVA would just be a cheap solution for making it more hard wearing.

when you say threshold i assume you mean a piece of wood on the floor between the 2 rooms?

do what ever you feel. you cant go that wrong. if you havent got anything dont bother buying something, just give it a few coats of the eggshell. you can always touch it up over time.
peace

yeah threshold as in bottom part of an old door frame, separates the floors between the two rooms.

I've got a can of halfrauds lacquer, could try that :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back