Oil Filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting thread on engine oil strangely descended into squabbling and was closed. Unusual on here - more the way of threads in General Discussion dept.

Anyway, it touched on the subject of oil filters. I've always been careful to change oil and filter regularly - using quality oil. Unthinkingly though, I usually wander into Halfrauds and pick up their own brand oil filter. Last time it had changed and they are now selling Crosland.

Never really considered the importance of the filter, but suppose it's just as important as oil quality. Researched the subject and found that no one has a good word to say about Croslands. This spooked me into ordering a Mahle filter to replace the one I changed with the oil 600 miles ago. Will always make sure I fit quality filters in future..

Suppose Mahle are ok?

Sponsored Links
Once upon a time Crosland was one of the top names in filters. I think it's just a marketing thing that they have slipped down the list of preferences.
I'm sure I have a Crosland air filter in my car at the moment.

sxturbo has written a tome on after market parts, including filters......I'm sure Mahle will be just fine.
Of course, we don't really know which brands are just reboxed rubbish so go for the makes that he recommends. I have to say I'm paranoid about these things, I just want the best for my engine!
John :)

Mahle are factory fitted on some Audis, so they're supposedly ok.
On my cars I fit Mann because that's what they came out with from factory.
I used Bosch a couple of times I couldn't find Mann, but in the knowledge that they're also fitted to some VW.
Then I believe someone mentioned that Bosch and Mann are made by the same people if I'm not mistaken.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Sounds like the Austrian made Mahle may not be too bad then.

What brands would go on the recommended list? Sounds like branded manufacturer filters and Mann. Any others? The Puroflux ones seem to have innovative filter material inside.

As for Bosch, someone on Youtube did a comparison of spin-on type filters and Bosch didn't come out well. Good name, but lesser internals inside. Bit like their boilers - relying on the name.

Last edited:
This is why I choose Blueprint stuff.
Originally providers for Japanese vehicles (which should be a good sign in itself) they are now owned by Bilstein / Febi - again, long established names.

Now that Blueprint cover most vehicles, the choice is much wider. However, not being blessed with X ray eyes I can't tell the quality of the filtering medium.
However, the Blueprint discs and pads are a cut above many other makes, including National and Pagid, even Brembo. I say this because the braking quality is excellent right from the start and the discs just don't corrode to the same extent as others - a big point, I think on lower mileage cars and I have fitted dozens - maybe into the hundreds by now.
Being so happy with this side of their manufacturing I stick with their filters too. They are visibly excellent, well packaged and always come with correct seals where appropriate.

the Blueprint discs and pads are a cut above many other makes, including National and Pagid, even Brembo.
Really?
How can we get a comparison?
I always insisted on having pagid, brembo or original discs and pads, but now you're saying that blueprint are better...

All I can report are my findings, and the conclusions I have come to concerning my choice of manufacturers.
If I fit ‘other makes’, maybe the punter has supplied them or maybe they are the cheaper option, makes no difference to me.
When the car comes back to me in a year or so I look at the corrosion on the discs, the wear lip and any grooving on the disc faces. Obviously the higher mileage the vehicle the better the condition the disc is likely to be.
Premium makes such as Brembo were no better.....its rare that I fit main dealer parts because of the price, although I would if they were better.
Really disappointing discs from new - Audi and Skoda
Worst aftermarket discs - International
Best performing discs from new - Kia, BMW, Mercedes Benz in that order.
When fitting the discs, a clean with brake cleaner can release loose carbon - Blueprint seem to have less which may indicate a higher chromium content, I wouldn’t know.....but I know who I’ll stick with.
One make that did perform well was a two letter make from the Netherlands I think, but I can’t remember the initials!

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like the Austrian made Mahle may not be too bad then.

What brands would go on the recommended list? Sounds like branded manufacturer filters and Mann. Any others? The Puroflux ones seem to have innovative filter material inside.

As for Bosch, someone on Youtube did a comparison of cannister type filters and Bosch didn't come out well. Good name, but lesser internals inside. Bit like their boilers - relying on the name.

be careful with wha you see on you tube. The European aftermarket is very different to that of the rest of the world, the European market is regulated.

Filter brands to be trusted are:

Wix (now part of MANN, however they use there own factories and are different to MANN filters)
Fram Europe (do not buy fram USA filters) Fram is part of the sogeffi group which owns Purflux
Purflux
CoopersFiaam (owned by sogeffi)
Mahle - OE on a lot of german based equipment, they have a sister company KNECHT which use the same part numbers, just different branded boxes, Knecht tends to be the arm that deals direct with the OEM.
Mann + Hummel
Bosch (they are good filters, when i have compared them on my audi the filter looked identical to OE,) - Bosch do not make there own filters, they subcontract out
ADL Blueprint (as Bosch dont make there own filters just rebrand)
Baldwin Filters (heavy duty filters really)
Donaldson (heavy duty filters)
UFI (Italian OE filters)

i cant think of any others from the top of my head,

medium brands that are ok but i would say not stellar

Comline
TJ Filters
Alco

Filters to avoid

Crosland - they were part of sogeffi, they then sold the brand rights to Euro car parts, they are not good filters, Euro car parts supply halfords for there emergency products and for stock shortages. Euro car parts may source their filters from companies as ADL do, however they do NOT have their own technical department and so it is very much left unchecked. Euro Car Parts also have a reputation supplying poor quality goods in spurious packaging.

anything else not mentioned

Last edited:
All I can report are my findings, and the conclusions I have come to concerning my choice of manufacturers.
If I fit ‘other makes’, maybe the punter has supplied them or maybe they are the cheaper option, makes no difference to me.
When the car comes back to me in a year or so I look at the corrosion on the discs, the wear lip and any grooving on the disc faces. Obviously the higher mileage the vehicle the better the condition the disc is likely to be.
Premium makes such as Brembo were no better.....its rare that I fit main dealer parts because of the price, although I would if they were better.
Really disappointing discs from new - Audi and Skoda
Worst aftermarket discs - International
Best performing discs from new - Kia, BMW, Mercedes Benz in that order.
When fitting the discs, a clean with brake cleaner can release loose carbon - Blueprint seem to have less which may indicate a higher chromium content, I wouldn’t know.....but I know who I’ll stick with.
One make that did perform well was a two letter make from the Netherlands I think, but I can’t remember the initials!

ADL brakes are mostly EBC.. or were.

The best brake pads in the universe are Ferodo Premium, they are pricey though.

PAGID in the UK is also licensed by euro car parts,

Can anything go much lower? You think you are buying a reasonable brand like Crosland or from a reputable retailer such as Halfrauds. Then you find it's just Eurocraparts all along. :(

Done 600 miles on the Crosland filter. Will be whipping it out Fri and putting in a Mahle. Hope no damage done!

ADL brakes are mostly EBC.. or were.

The best brake pads in the universe are Ferodo Premium, they are pricey though.

PAGID in the UK is also licensed by euro car parts,
always use mintex discs and pads myself.

Can anything go much lower? You think you are buying a reasonable brand like Crosland or from a reputable retailer such as Halfrauds. Then you find it's just Eurocraparts all along. :(

Done 600 miles on the Crosland filter. Will be whipping it out Fri and putting in a Mahle. Hope no damage done!
i never cut corners on timing gear or oil or fuel filters . gates for timing belts and pulleys etc and genuie dealer filters.

An example.....Quantum oil for VAG long drain. 5 litres needed.
Newcastle Audi....around £80 :eek: only one litre bottles available. That was an A1, 61 plate under warranty.
Silbury Skoda.......around £25 for a 5 litre bottle of exactly the same stuff. That’s for a 2.0 Yeti, 65 plate, under warranty.
How ridiculous is that?

Sponsored Links
Back