oil fired boiler system for small granny flat extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are adding a small granny flat to to our existing house and want to instal a new boiler for the extension only.
Our own system is supplied from our existing oil storage tank.
1 Is it possible to run the 2 systems from the one tank and instal a flow meter to get a reading of fuel used?
2 What would be the best boiler to instal - Scottish Regs apply - would a small combi suit best - only 1 shower and kitchen sink + 5 rads. Total floor area is only 60m2.
3 Does it have to be a condensing boiler?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I was just thinking simonds post was a bit exciting.
Thanks for the replies lads.
Any recommendations for reliable good value (inexpensive) condensing combis would be greatly appreciated.

Whilst I can understand the wish for granny to pay for her own heating have you really considered the addional cost of the installation?

As it will probably cost about £2000 for a new installed boiler why not just join it to your own system and ask granny to pay say 20% of the fuel and servicing cost?

Even if its really a tenant then the same applies.

You can get into paying two lots of council tax if you make it self contained too !

Tony

Thanks agile
I take your point - the reasons for the separate system are predominately to do with our existing boiler being at its limit and the potential (in future) to let out the granny flat.

How have you concluded your boiler is operating at its limit?

Most oil boilers can be set to a range of power outputs. Are you sure yours is set at the maximum?

When on heating in cold weather is it really running all the time or cycling on/off ? There can be other reasons for heating to be insufficient than just boiler power.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back