Oil line joint/ tank relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the oil line on my central heating system. I have 10mm copper pipe currently from the boiler to the tank. The pipe comes out of the boiler into the space under the suspended floor in my utility room (cannot lift flooring) and then out into my garden. I propose to cut the oil line and join it to new 10mm copper pipe as the new tank will be located a bit further away than it is currently located. The joint will be under decking eventually, with access to it from the side possible.
My problem is that I was going to join it by solder-ring fitting, but have read that many have had to use flared fittings.
The consensus elsewhere in this forum is that compresstion fittings will not be adequate due to possible leaks.

Any help will be welcome as I don't want to fall foul of any regulations I am unaware of.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i use compre4ssion fittings all the all the time on oil lines-never had a leak yet.

Do you have OFTEC qualification to do this sort of this... a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If not, look in Yellow Pages under OFTEC and get it done properly. Solder fittings should NOT be used on oil lines, and OFTEC recommend flared. If you INSIST on doing it yourself buy a flaring tool!

Sponsored Links
Almost all the leaks on pipe joints I see are compression fittings, but then flared fittings aren't that common. Compression can be used with half-hard annealed pipe, but if the pipe is in a coil it will be soft annealed. Flared fittings are good for maintenance as you can get pipes apart without having to withdraw 3/8" of pipe stuck up the fitting as with compression. Silicone sealer fixes compression fitting leaks, but use the proper fittings and don't have a problem.

As leakydave says, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and so can flared fittings without having practised and fine tuning the technique. It's easy to crack the pipe when you flare it, and so for an occasional user, compression fittings and sealer are certainly no worse, and probably better. Even "professionals" can't be bothered to learn how to do flares properly, and this includes people who run training courses in at least one case I know of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back