oil or LPG

simond said:
.... if you have no storage within OFTEC rules then that is ruled out.

"OFTEC rules" are not the absolute requirement. If it's not possible to comply, BC can approve the installation.

Sponsored Links
simond said:
Doitall

I haven't come across domestic air heat pumps, can you point me in the direction of some info?

It sounds interesting, but surely you need to have a fantastically well insulated dwelling or you end up with virtually electric heating anyway?

Simon

If you want to email me I will give you the link to our web site.

And yes you are correct the insulation needs to meet the new regs, or you have to seriously oversize the unit.

hi
thanks for all the replies
i was wondering about electric central heating
i don't know much about it?
is it a viable option?

Yes but expensive. Amptec electric boilers can be fitted in modules and can run an unvented cylinder.

But they are made by Heatre Sadia (I think) which is part of Baxi - hence quite possibly sh1te.

Sponsored Links
aconnor2 said:
hi
thanks for all the replies
i was wondering about electric central heating
i don't know much about it?
is it a viable option?

Only if you have loads of shares in your electricity suppliers :LOL:

I have fitted the Trianco aztec boilers and my personal opinion is that they are a good bit of kit virtually 100% efficient, the bigger units (multi-element) are fully modulating and maintenance free! when was the last time you bought a kettle because it had packed up?
You obviously need to keep a check on your electricity supplier/tarrif but the extra cost in my view is generally balanced out when compared with modern gas/oil boilers i.e maintenance,breakdowns etc.
One thing that is certain we will never run out of electricity

But electrcity generation and transmission is only 33% efficient. So you'll be doing the environment no favours. I suppose that may or may not bother some people.

If you were going that route you would want the water set to heat at night on E7. Thus a thermal store or large cylinder.

If you are a hard water area I think you'll find that many people get through many kettles/immersions. I'm on my second kettle in two years (although we now have a water filter now).

It shouldn't be as long as there are no leaks and is not constantly being topped up.

It is in fact the opposite that would cause problems, artificially softened water will eat away the insides of your rads etc :eek:

tekkiesteve wrote

One thing that is certain we will never run out of electricity

It has to be generated and the fuel to run the generator will run out eventually.

Concrete needs a lot of energy to make.

Concrete is needed to make power stations.

There are not enough Nuclear power stations.
It takes between 15 and 25 years to make a Nuclear per station.

Energy is wasted in the transmission through the National Grid.

Same goes for many of the so called renewables. Where does the steel come from to make the wind turbines?

You'll need a lot of those to match the output of a Nuclear station.

And I am actually all for Nuclear; funnily enough - when we have enough clean electricity generation I will be behind Electric boilers 100%. For now there needs to be a REAL need and NO alternative for a property.

The way oil/gas price is rising pretty soon electric will be the norm.

Quite possibly - but that doesn't get over the energy shortage that will ensue - for the same reason. Gas and oil will be scarcer and scarcer. We just own't be able to generate enough electricity.

We'd better get building eh? :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back