Oil Tank Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon.

I am looking to replace my existing steel oil tank with a smaller 1000L plastic version. The current unbunded tank is sited close to a fence, tree and in front of my garage window. It is also within a few metres of a drain.

I want to sight the new one at the end of the garden next to 2 fences and a garden shed.

I understand this may not meet OFtec rules but the any other sites are limited.

What do the rules state? And what would be the consequences if I fitted it without getting it OFtec inspected? How would they no that it wasn't here when i moved in??

Sponsored Links
I am looking to replace my existing steel oil tank with a smaller 1000L plastic version.

Why would you want a plastic tank? A steel tank will last 40 years if taken care of. Plastic tanks are less reliable. Their only advantage is they are lighter to install. It also means they blow away in windy conditions. Steel tanks here. You can have any size and configuration, and painted in any colour.

I want to sight the new one at the end of the garden next to 2 fences and a garden shed.

Put it where you like, as long as you have a 1/2 hour firebreak from the fences, and a 1 hour firebreak to the shed.

I understand this may not meet OFtec rules but the any other sites are limited.

They are not Oftec rules, they are BS specifications (5410).

What do the rules state? And what would be the consequences if I fitted it without getting it OFtec inspected? How would they no that it wasn't here when i moved in??

Look here for the "rules". There is nothing to prevent you installing it yourself as long as you inform building control, and have it inspected by them afterwards.

Also remember oil is a bit dearer when you have less than 1000 litres delivered, so a 1300 litre tank would be better option.

Thanks for the responses. I have a steel tank at the moment and it is a little rusty in some areas. I was told I would have to buy a new one as it couldn't be moved. Is this not the case?

If steel tanks are so good why does everyone but plastic now? Are they more expensive?

Can a steel tank be sited on the ground or does it need to be raised on pillars?

I have looked into the fireboards and they are not that expensive can i just build a wall around the tank with these?

Thanks for the help.....Sportball

Sponsored Links
My steel tank was on two brick pillars and developed a hole due to rust. This occurred due to wetness between tank and pillars.
I emptied the tank into couple of oil barrels. I also rigged up a small tank outside from a plastic storage box (with lid) so I could still use boiler.
Removed empty steel tank, removed brick pillars.
Had steel tank removed from site and plastic tank delivered (1350 litres). Placed in same position, but lower down. Fitted everything back as before and it's been in operation now for about 12 years.
Did note only one outlet for oil and no inlet and mine was a two pipe sytstem, so extended the return pipe to enter tank through the air vent on top.

Thanks for the responses. I have a steel tank at the moment and it is a little rusty in some areas. I was told I would have to buy a new one as it couldn't be moved. Is this not the case?

This is not necessarily the case. Provided the oil would not get into a water course, or the new position is not within 50m of a well, or it is not within 10m of a loose fitting manhole cover, or where the oil could could get into controlled water, then you can move the tank. abrade the rust, then treat the tank with epoxy mastic. It's expensive stuff, but if you use small syringes to measure the required amount, it will go a long way. It is more surface tolerant than most other treatments.

If steel tanks are so good why does everyone but plastic now? Are they more expensive?

Everyone does NOT buy plastic tanks. Does everyone buy Windows based computers? There is a lot of concentrated marketing for plastic tanks. Have you not seen the long term problems with many plastic goods?

Plastic tanks are more expensive than a similar capacity steel tank.

Can a steel tank be sited on the ground or does it need to be raised on pillars?

It needs to be on pillars to allow maintenance to the underside of the tank.

I have looked into the fireboards and they are not that expensive can i just build a wall around the tank with these?

Yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back