positioning of central heating oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my oil tank due to a crack and it looks like a good idea to move it as it is right next to my house and the flue to the boiler and a drain which I understand ticks all the boxes of a terrible installation.

I have read the OFTEC easy guide to installation but have a couple of questions. I have some options on where to move the tank.

It states that the tank should be 760cm away from non fire rated boundary e.g wooden fence. I am assuming that this is the minimum distance from the house not excluding doors windows etc that need to be 1.8m?

Is that the basics?

I am having the tank commissioned by an OFTEC installer but would like an educated discussion as to where to position the tank when he arrives and would also like to prepare the base for the tank myself.
Thanks ......

Sponsored Links
Other factors can enter the equasion such as water courses etc so it would be better to get the OFTEC person to do a site visit and discuss tanks location with you.

Another thing I was wondering is the distance a fuel hose could reach to fill the tank. It could mean a 30-35metre stretch at one site?

Any thoughts?

N.b no watercourses nearby.

tank should be visible from fuel tanker if not an overfill alarm needs to be fitted get OFTEC reg in because i will come along and tell you its an incorrect installation because a numpty fitted it to which you reply i fitted it

Sponsored Links
The Road Tanker does NOT have to be visible from the customers oil tank -thats LPG regs. The regs for oil state that the fill point of the customers tank must be within view of the vent, this is not always the case where a 2" pipe has been run to a remote location for filling, in these cases a over fill alarm must be provided. The regulations on Domestic tanks have just changed and my advice is to fit a BUNDED tank without exception the distance from a flammable boundary is 76cm (760mm)
1800mm from an opening Dorr/Window or boiler flue terminal the base must be constructed using concrete and extend at least 300mm all around the tank. ;)

2.10.1 .................the delivery driver cannot see the oil storage tank it should be provided with secondary containment and an overfill prevention device. Remote monitoring gauge is also recommended

It means if the tanker is coupled to a remote filling point he does not have to be able to see the Lorry at the same time, the hose has a valve on the end so he can control the fill from the hose end, however from the end of his hose he does need to see the tank which as i said previously refers to remote fill points read that paragraph again my friend!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back