Oiling or Hardwaxoil on stairs - safe? Durable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have an open staircase with a stunning reddish coloured wood. I am not sure if it is mahogany or whatever but it is tropical, close grained.

Unfortunately, the stairs are a mess due to the works in the house - a lot of plaster is stuck on and the old layer of varnish has been ground off by work boots. It is time to bring this stunning wood back to life

The rest of the floor is brushed, oiled oak. I was thinking of using oil or hardwax oil like Blanchon or similar.

Question is, is this safe? is it durable? I am going through a spot of financial turmoil and have to rent this property out. I would like something that can either be easily kept up or is durable. I REALLY would stay away from modern varnishes and paints if possible. I applied some oil on a bit of stairs where the varnish had been ground off, and the wood looked gorgeous.

I have searched on waxing stairs, there isnt much. especially not on oiling treads? bad idea??

Sponsored Links
Ok,
Had a good chat with Karin at WOODYOULIKE.

Good advise. Thank you K, all sorted and bought.

Udhi

One of the great benefits of a forum is that many people can learn from one answer, so don't keep the answer to yourself please.

Because it concerned a tropical wood species we advised to use a (Saicos) single oil - normally followed with 1 coat of hardwaxoil. Because it's a stair we changed this in this occasion to wax-polish.

Sponsored Links
My apologies MountainWalker I remember you yourself have given me good advice, just did not pass it on.

As per above by WoodYouLike.

Regards
Udhi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back