ok i give in where do i find a 12v ac relay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help me solve this one?

I have an existing doorbell with 2 ringers (3 storey house), that is mains powered (12v ac transformer)

i want to add a second ringer, only i want it to be wireless for in the garden, so i've got a wireless push and cordless ringer, and disassembled the push, soldering on 2 wires either side of the switch.

in a vague attempt to get something to work i tried a 12v dc relay, which kinda works (makes a light flicker), however the relay switch isn't long enough to mimic the doorbell push.

so any ideas? suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Are you handy with a soldering iron? You could make a little rectifier out of some diodes so the DC relay will operate on AC

Your half way there already.
Try this....
Feed the relay coil via a small bridge rectifier..
Across the coil connect a suitable capacitor (about 100mfd) that will hold the relay on for half a second or so to allow the wireless system to work.

sounds more complicated than it is but It's all I can think of.

Regards FB

Sponsored Links
maplin

OR you could get a 4001 diode and put it in series with the rlay you have (maplin sell those too)

I reckon one diode in series and a cap across the relay would be the minimum for a dc relay . Doesnt really need a full wave rectifier.

Or just get an AC relay :rolleyes:

Even my wholesaler stocks them - The type that plugs into a din-rail mount base....

If memory serves correct I do remember 12V AC were not common at electrical wholesalers but electronics ones gen stocked them.
If you do use the DC one with diodes(s) you will either get a reduced or higher DC voltage, if higher and it`s past the coil spec voltage then calculating a series resistor should protect the coil, a cap accross the coil will help smooth the voltage too

with just one diode the differeance is neither here or there.

with 4 diodes (bridge rectifier) the voltage drops slightly. if you then put a smooothing capacitor on it the voltage is multiplied by around 1.5 times.

put 1 diode on it will be the best option

the octal base relays are not good idea in this case, they tend to draw a lot of current (for what they are) which most door bell transformers can not supply.

Gents, many many thanks, there's a wealth of knowledge far greater than my own!.

I'm very happy with a soldering iron, however i confess talk of capacitors, rectifiers and the like sounds complicated to me, i've been searching high and low for a suitable ac relay, which is what led me to post here, an ac relay would be my favoured solution as i think i can suss that out.

so on the basis that i can't find an ac relay it seems diodes and a cap are required, so for the pure layman, does anyone feel inclined to give me a detailed shopping list and perhaps a diagram?

Many thanks

Pete

IN4001 diode in series with the relay you have. done cost 12p

see the link i posted earlier

(maplin part number QL73Q)

brect.gif

Folks thank to one and all, the diodes as a bridge rectifier thingy did the trick, chuffed to bits, thanks again

regards
Pete

You don't even need the relay. I've had a setup similar to this for several years. Short out the switch on the wireless pushbutton and feed its power supply from the voltage across the mains-powered bell via a diode, resistor, zener and capacitor. No relay needed and no battery to go flat in the wireless sender.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back