ok i give in where do i find a 12v ac relay?

The problem with rectifying is you end up with about 1.4 x the AC voltage so if you have 12v AC input you will end up with about 16.8v DC. This will be ok for longer runs or to keep the voltage up if there are several loads but if it is just for a single relay then you might end up burning it out prematurely!

Sponsored Links
Good point that man.
That was what I was eluding to in my post.
AC to DC rectification.
Single diode = 0.7071 x AC and Bridge = 1.414 it might not always be a problem but check the relay range.
With a bridge a series resistor might be required to reduce the voltage a tadd.

Running components to either mid limit or alternatively nominal is often sound engineering to ensure trouble free solutions.

The problem with rectifying is you end up with about 1.4 x the AC voltage

Good point that man.

with just one diode the differeance is neither here or there.

with 4 diodes (bridge rectifier) the voltage drops slightly. if you then put a smooothing capacitor on it the voltage is multiplied by around 1.5 times.

put 1 diode on it will be the best option

the octal base relays are not good idea in this case, they tend to draw a lot of current (for what they are) which most door bell transformers can not supply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back