OLD BITTLE FLOOR TILES REMOVED & WHITE POWDER COMING UP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to decorate a small downstairs room. When we moved in we just 'made do for now'. The old black bittle type tiles where on the floor and these were broke here there and everywhere we removed them all leaving a very sticky black floor. Some of the tiles come up with little bits of concrete stuck to them especially the edges and there was a sort of white powder as though coming through floor. We put a cheap carpet down 'for now', but now when I have pulled this up it was really stuck in parts to the floor, the white powder bits are still there around the edges and the black sticky layer is not present on some areas and there is just concrete.
I have been told VISQUEEN (dont know if thats spelt correct) will need go on in a liquid form. there are no problems with damp etc so do I really need to put this on the floor as there are only some small patches where the existing 'black stuff' is missing. If I need to do this can anyone advise as I have never done this before.
We are having new carpet fitted next Monday so your help would be really appreciated in case I need to put this stuff on first.
:cry: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :cry:

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean "brittle" - as in crumbling???

If I understand you correctly your floor is an old vinyl tile laid on bitumen. This was a sort of damp proof finish popular for a while

You should be aware that some of these tiles contained asbestos!!! so please be careful!

The rest of your post is contradictory....

The correct "fix" is indeed a membrane and a screed, but your post indicates that you do not want to do this and are looking for reassurance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back